3

~Annie's POV~

I'm sat in the back of the Math classroom, contemplating every single life decision I've ever made. I just agreed to go get lunch with Armin Arlert, a guy I just met after saving him from Floch's claws. I hope he gets home safely. I told Mr. Berner that Armin was injured and wouldn't make it to class. He has a note from the nurse anyways so even if he does get written up, he wouldn't get in any trouble. I just hope he doesn't injure himself even more by walking around. I hope he sees a doctor as well. Maybe I should find his friends, get his number and cancel the lunch for whenever he gets better. Or whenever he forgets about it. But maybe lunch wouldn't be such a bad idea. I would save a bit of money if he's the one paying. I feel slightly guilty for thinking this way but he was the one who offered and it seems like a much better idea than starving. I can't remember the last time I had a good, warm meal. I decide to take him up on the offer whenever his wound heals. 

I fold my arms on the table and place my head on them. My tiredness finally sinks in and I realize how little sleep I've been getting. Closing my eyes for a split second wouldn't do me any harm, right? But just when I do, there's a knock on the door and an eruption of Prof. Zoe's loud, distressed voice. I find myself lifting my head up and looking at them in annoyance. They're panicking about an explosion in their science classroom and their pet mice escaping. 

I couldn't give a damn. I place my head back on my arms and close my eyes. That's when I hear a chuckle from right next to me. 

"You shouldn't be sleeping in class if you wanna pass, silly. Pay attention." 

I groan and look up at the black-haired girl next to me. "What do you want?"

"I'm just trying to help you understand the lesson." She innocently smiles. What the hell is her problem? 

I lay my head back on my hands. Mina Carolina is the least of my problems today. She stops caring and instead focuses on writing something down in her notebook. Mr. Berner is out of the classroom now, attending to the science teacher's aid. My mind is shoved back into the possibilities of canceling lunch for today but I can't seem to think of a way to get his number and call him without it seeming weird. I decide to forget about it until later. If Armin thinks he's alright enough to go out for lunch then so be it.  

"Sorry to bother you again but what happened to Armin?" Mina voice sounds from next to me once again. This time I don't lift my head up. It's none of her business. 

"He fell down the stairs." I lie. It really isn't an issue for me. It isn't the first time I've lied. Besides, it's what Armin wants. 

"Ouch" She winces. "Is he okay?" 

I shrug. "The nurse sent him home. He'll be fine." 

"How'd he fall down the stairs?" 

"How am I supposed to know? I just saw him on the ground." 

Mina's nice enough but sometimes she gets a little too curious. She can get annoying. 

Out of the corner of my eye, I see her sheepish smile. "So Armin fell down the stairs and you - his night in shining armor - was there to catch him!" 

Now I'm even more irritated. I wanna curse her out and dismiss her but the bell rings and everyone gets up. Commotion rises and I get up. I pack my stuff and throw my bag over my shoulder, exiting the classroom. I never respond to Mina - she can think whatever she wants. I barely know the kid. I just so happened to be there at the same time as he and Floch. But it does have me thinking - why exactly did I decide to help him? I could have walked away like every other student. Perhaps I didn't want him to know what it feels like to be physically injured by someone else with no one there to help.