22

~Armin's POV~

Going home has always given me a sense of safety. Even after my parents died. Home is the place where I'm safe from everything. Not everyone feels that way so I'm grateful to have such a warm home. Before I enter my house, the stray cat trots over to me like she does every day since the day I met her. She gets up on her hind legs and begs for my attention. I laugh and run my hand through her head. She's purring while walking around my legs. 

"Good to see you too, Alwyn." I greet. The snow is sadly melting. At first, I hated it but I've grown to love is now. And that's all thanks to Annie. She enchanted my winter. The snow isn't supposed to melt this early in the year. It's still late January. I have no doubts it'll snow again pretty soon. This one was getting old anyways. "Wait here." I give the cat a pat on her head. I run inside and grab the cat food we keep in our hallway. My grandfather is allergic to cats but he buys cat food so that I can feed Alwyn when she comes by. He feels bad. Next to the cat food, I spot a bottle of medication. I'm curious but I decide it's none of my business. If it's something serious, grandpa should be the one to tell me. So, I walk back outside and leave some food out for Alwyn on the porch. She gratefully accepts it and let's me walk back inside. 

"You're home late." Says my grandpa from the doorway that leads into the living room. "Were you out with Annie?" 

"I was in detention." I shrug. I never imagined I'd be this calm about spending three hours in detention.  "And I can explain why." 

My grandpa is so shocked that he stumbles back a little. "You? In detention?" 

I sign and briefly explain how everything happened. For a moment, he's silent. I can't tell if he's shocked, mad or finds this funny. 

"You got yourself in detention for a girl?" 

Slowly, I nod. "Listen- I'm sorry. I swear I'll work harder so my GPA doesn't get ruined! I'll still make it into a good college and-" 

My grandfather nods, then walks up to me and pats my head. "Don't worry about that, Armin. It's just one time." He coughs and leans on my shoulder for some support. I'm lucky to always have this support. "There's something I need to tell you." He's slightly shorter than me now so he has to look up when speaking. 

"What is it?" I ask. I follow him to the living room where he sits on the couch. He has a box in his hand. A box of... medication? My heart starts racing with the millions of possibilities. My mind wont shut up. It's thinking of the worst case scenario. And then my grandfather speaks: 

"I spoke to my doctor today..." He fidgets with the box. Then, he smiles. "He found medication that will help me with my allergies. You can take Alwyn home." 

A sense of relief floods over me. My shoulders fall in relaxation and I breathe out a sigh of relief. For a second there, I thought something bad had happened. I thought my life was about to take a toll for the worst once again. But no. He's fine. And Alwyn can come home. "Wait... really?" 

The old man nods. I love him more than anything at this moment. "They're expensive but worth it. I know how much she means to you." 

"Can I go get her now?" 

"Of course." 

I get up from the couch and walk outside without even putting a coat on. Alwyn is still on the porch. She's finished her food by now and is curiously looking up at me. I pick her up. "You wanna come home with me? You wont have to be cold anymore." The cat nestles her head in my chest and purrs. I take it as a yes and walk back inside. There's a conflicted look on my grandfather's face which worries me. Alwyn looks around, taking in all the new scents.