43rd and Normal

*47th and Wallace*

Hank and Ana arrived on scene after Kim and Adam responded to a break in at a local brewery. They met up with the female Officer and Hailey at the entrance while Kevin, Vanessa and Adam were all waiting for them inside.

"All right, what do we got?" Hank inquired as he walked under a strip of red tape that a nearby Officer was holding up for him.

"One injured, lots of property damage. Definitely more smash than grab. Owner said nothing was stolen." Adam reported. "SUV drove into the building, offenders jumped out, yelling racial slurs, shot up the place."

"Hate crime?" Vanessa wondered.

"We gotta loop in the Civil Rights Unit if it's a hate crime, right?" Kevin spoke up from behind his partner.

"It's nothing untill we can prove it." Ana pointed out.

"So, lick the scene clean. Shells, forensics, anything these guys could've touched." Hank listed. "Let's see if we can lift any paint from where this SUV crashed."

"Messy means loud so, hopefully, the neighborhood was watching." The brunette shrugged. "Knock and talk the whole block."

*District 21*

Ana made her way over to the gate and had just placed her hand on it when Trudy spoke up from the front desk.

"Oh, by the way, Chief Boden called. 51 heard about what happened to Jay and wanted to make sure you were all right." She explained.

The brunette rolled her eyes fondly and pushed the metal door open once the Desk Sergeant buzzed her in. She sprinted up the stairs and froze, face splitting into a wide grin at what she saw. The entire Intelligence Unit was in the Bullpen. Ana rushed over and, being mindful of his shoulder, pulled Jay into a hug.

"Great to have you back, Bluejay." She murmured into his shoulder.

"Thanks, Sarge." He smiled, patting her back in return.

They seperated just as Hank came out of his Office.

"Go ahead, Hailey." The older man nodded at the blonde by the whiteboard.

"Okay, three robberies in seven days in Canaryville. But robbery is playing pretty fast and loose with the word since nothing of large value was actually stolen." She explained. "The first two places hit were still under construction, the third one wasn't open for business yet, so there's no cash in hand to steal."

"So it's about damage, not profit." Ana muttered in thought.

"Guys, we got nothing on forensics." Vanessa spoke up from her desk. "Offenders kept their masks on, hands to themselves."

"That fits with the witness statements I got. Two masked, gloved males. They also said they saw shotguns and a black SUV with the plates torn off." Kim read aloud from her notepad.

"All that is an exact match with the other two, but this is the first time that they're ramming windows, first time they used hate speech." Hailey informed, gesturing at the board with a file.

"It's about anger. Not much planning." Kim pointed out.

"All three were brand-new establishments in the area." The blonde finished, handing both Hank and Ana a copy of the same file.

The two Sergeants proceeded to flip them open and scan their contents.

"I mean, it is Canaryville. They're notorious for hating outsiders." Jay remarked.

"One might call it a tight-knit community." Adam corrected.

"Yeah, if some still live in the neighborhood." The male Detective retorted, holding back a smile and glancing at his partner who wasn't as afraid to show it.