Chapter 23

After Mother's Day, I was extremely busy with affairs that needed my attention. I knew the Lord's would be arriving in two weeks time. I sighed as I rubbed my temples. I was being hounded on with lists upon lists. My mother in law was once again redecorating the nursery. Only she had two of them now, one for me and one for Rin. I knew that I needed a break from this soon otherwise I would get an ulcer. Since everyone was busy and I wouldn't be needed for a while. I decided to head over to the Phantomhive Manor. I escaped on Kirara.

      I snuck into the Manor, finding Tanaka having tea. I smiled as I sat down and joined him. It wasn't that much later when Ash joined us. Tanaka and Ash were laughing at something. I just sipped at the tea while watching them.

      "Look, Tanaka, Kagome! Three upright tea stalks." He held his cup out. "I think it promises to be an excellent day."

     My eyes glanced to the door, finding Ciel looking at the two men in disbelief. Sebastian stood right behind him with a closed eyed smile. Since I concealed my presence, those two haven't noticed me yet.

      "Wait, I know you! You're the queen's butler!" Ciel shouted.

     "Greetings, Lord Phantomhive." Ash greeted. "I do apologize for this embarrassing display."

       Sebastian closed the door behind him. His red eyes glanced my way and then widened when he saw me. I silently chuckled and held a finger to my mouth. He smirked as went back to his smiled stance.

      "Why is the Queen's butler here sipping tea at my estate?" Ciel questioned.

      "So sorry." Sebastian looked to Ciel. "I thought you were aware of his role, young master. This entire time, Ash has been her personal messenger. His job is to deliver the orders Her Majesty sends out for you, my lord." Sebastian stated.

      Ciel turned to Sebastian. "That's not a job for a butler."

      "Forgive me, but I beg to differ." Ash smiled, then went into an awkward pose. "If I couldn't consult the Doomsday Book for those requesting an audience with Her Majesty and travel here to deliver a simple message and then stop for an elegant tea break, what kind of butler would I be?"

      My mate and him seemed to almost have the same values as a butler. I bit my bottom lip as I glanced at Sebastian. He arched a brow at me. I just silently sipped at my tea. Ash sipped at his tea.

     "Yes, well," Ciel didn't look amused, "having a tea break is hardly a duty for a butler."

      Tanaka laughed.

     "Well, if I may, to what do we owe the pleasure?" Sebastian asked Ash.

     "Oh, indeed." Ash looked like he remembered something. "Outside of Preston there is a Catholic abbey. It was burned down during the Reformation and is no longer in use. A cult practicing the Isna religion has begun gathering there. We have recieved word that the cult's leader is in possession of the Doomsday Books of all its many followers."

      "You mean the land registers?" Ciel asked. "Where all livestock and property is recorded? I don't understand. What could he possibly want with that?"

     "Oh, no. Their Doomsday Books are quite a bit different than that. They aren't the normal records you're used to. They don't cover property. These are the records required when you stand before the Lord in Heaven on Doomsday, the Day of Judgment. All your sins and your good works are supposedly recorded there." Ash explained. I choked on my tea, making everyone look at me. Sebastian came walking over to help me. He even helped clean me up. I smiled up at him, then looked to Ciel. I smiled, waving at him. He blinked in surprise before he went back to his passive state.