13

The sheets of the bed had to be changed so you got to work, you pulled the softest pair out of the cupboard and put the old ones into a garbage bag. Matt was still in the bathroom probably struggling to get dressed but you did your best to keep him from your mind. He really was something else, smart and funny and kind and selfless. He'd do anything for anybody else and that made a smile creep onto your face.

You'd just finished making the bed when feet shuffled into the room, "I'm not taking the bed tonight" his voice was low and rough and you bit your bottom lip as he spoke.

"Well it's a good thing it's not up to you then huh" you turned around your hands on your hips and glared at him playfully.

"I'd normally win this fight, but I think you'd beat me this time.. this one time" his smile was pulling on his face, the way his teeth appeared out from his lips made you smile in return.

"Matt. Bed. Now" you grabbed for his arm and his tried to evade you by quickly stepping backwards but mid step he pulled at the stitches in his abdomen and hissed.

"I can't expect you to take the couch, this is your house" you frowed and grabbed hold of his arm.

"And if I was at your house you'd tell me you'd want me to take the bed because I'm the guest!" You pulled him lightly and his feet followed. "Plus I win and I said so! Bed!" He grumbled something about him usually being stronger than this, but you helped him lie down.

You went to pull away from Matt as he grabbed your arm "thank you, you didn't have to do this for me at all but I am thankful you did. I'm also thankful that I saved you that night and you were smart enough to know it was me and now you're helping me." His rambling was slightly out of character for Matt but it was very cute.

"You have literally already done it for me Matt, it's okay. Think of it as returning the favour" you leaned down and kissed him very lightly on the top of his head and his eyes fell closed. Maybe you shouldn't have done that but before you could regret it he reached for your cheek and pulled you towards him again. He kissed you, very lightly and very quickly, but almost to say thank you he kissed you on the lips and then let you stand.

You were beyond shocked, and the fluttering in your lower stomach was dully noted. He smiled whilst staring up at the ceiling and closed his eyes enjoying the comfort of the bed. You turned to switch off the light before stopping yourself, he could sleep with it on and you could check on him as he did.

You went to leave the room but Matt spoke, "you changed the sheets" you looked at him and his hand was slowly feeling the sheet under him.

"Couldn't have all my hard work being undone if you got into dirty sheets Murdock" this caused him to laugh lightly.

The couch was just too small and you couldn't quiet get comfortable, not that you minded too much. Matt needed the comfort of your bed more then you did. A cup of warm tea would have to do as you tried to get to sleep.

Making your way to the kitchen you notice the a shillouette in the doorway. "Matthew if you don't lie down..." The figure grew the tiniest bit taller, now far too tall to be Matt. Your steps stopped quickly. Almost spilling the tea on yourself. "Matt?" The figure took a step out of the doorway and expanded it's arms even more, "okay, not Matt!" You dropped the cup, it shattering on the hardwood floor, your life out weighed the warm beverage.

You jumped over the kitchen island and stuck close to it, the cupboards behind you making a loud bang as you braced yourself. You heard a series of thuds and what you thought was the cocking if a gun but you didn't hear the bang. The gun never went off....

You slowly peak over the top of the counter and Matthew has your bat in his hands. "Matthew!" You whisper yelled! His head tilted toward the kitchen where you were hiding before he zoned back in on the guy struggling to get back up. The gun was discarded somewhere on the floor.

"You okay over there, not hurt? Cut?" His face was towards you now. You stood in the kitchen and started to walk over to him, you put your hand on his shoulder.

"No Murdock, no cuts, just emotional damage" you half heartedly chuckle. His hand runs over your shoulder and arm before taking your hand lightly. Your butterflies returning. Your head shot up to meet his and he dropped your hand stalking towards the unconscious guy on the floor.

The silhouette of a man was dragging himself across the floor trying to make space between the stalking devil and himself. He stood and jumped for the window, Matt was injured and tried to grab for him but abruptly stopping when his side pulls.

"Leave him Matt, he won't be back!" You reach for his shoulder as he hisses. You move past him and close the window for the second time tonight and lock it tight this time.

"You won't be here when he is! If people are looking for you, we need to work out why and keep you safe" he moved closer to you with each word, running his hand down the side of your face. He moved back into the bedroom and you followed.

He lifted a bag from the top of the cupboard that you had honestly forgot you owned and he unzipped it. "bring enough for a week, your coming with me to mine. There's no way I'm leaving you here." When he spoke he was out if breath and gruff. Matt wasn't the kind of person you argued with. So pack you did.