Four: Heart Made Of Glass

"Thought I found a way, thought I found a way out. But you never go away, never go away." Up here, Kari didn't feel the sadness, didn't feel fear. She felt the worries and restraints seem to work off her shoulders, making her feel lighter.

"So I guess I gotta stay now. Oh I hope some day I'll make it out here. Even if it takes all night or a hundred years." Her fingers brushed through the cloud, the chilliness making her smile.

"Need a place to hide, but I can't find one near. Wanna feel alive, outside I can't fight my fear." She let her body fall back, laying back on Silverflame who kept her wings out and gliding above the clouds. The stars sparkling upon the pair while Kari closed her eyes.

"Isn't it lovely? All alone. Heart made of glass, my mind of stone. Tear me to pieces; skin to bone." Her head turned while she opened her eyes; seeing the hallucination of her childhood friends. The only attachment she had left of Berk.

"Hello... welcome home."

— — —

"Silverflame, I see your rider is still not here." The alpha spoke, Silverflame lowering her head at hearing that. She was biting her tongue, pressing her cheek against the stone while she glared at nothing in particular. The bewilder beast lowered his head, carefully blowing the frost along the black scales and encouraged the dragon to speak her mind, "What's wrong? Talk to me."

"I-I don't understand her alpha! That village... They HURT her! But she doesn't wasn't to leave! I've been trying every night, but some reason she keeps going back!" Silverflame slumped to the ground, feeling defeated that she couldn't bring her rider by now. She just want Kari to be safe... The alpha hummed while standing up. "Maybe... Just maybe she has some last connection to that place, watch her closely. See what that connection would be."

"Like... like what?"

"That I can not answer. See what's holding your rider back." Silverflame let her head drop again, showing the saddle clearly and the alpha smiled. "But she has accepted you to be her riser, the saddle looks well made."

"Yea! She made it herself! And she always make sure that I'm fed when I come and see her! She takes care of me and gives me hugs. She's always petting my head and she greets me by these soft little head butting! I want to protect her..."

"And I know you will protect her Silverflame. Just give her time, she'll come around."

That's what I'm worried about alpha... what if she doesn't have time? Silverflame sighed, turning away and unfurling her wings before taking off. Her body spinning as she curled her wings in; shooting through the cavern and breaking through the open air. Wings spread out as she didn't hesitate to speed toward the direction of Berk. She hated to be away from her rider.

— — —

Kari never thought that she could lose any more emotion, but now as she sat in the forge with a numbness in her chest. She realized that the nightmares of her deaths only affected her more.

Mint green eyes stared down at her hands, turning them slowly and expecting to see the blood on them. But they were clean; even clean of the soot she usually has working in the forge.

"Kari." She jumped in panic, quickly looking away from her hands and back at the blacksmith standing there. Gobber placed another bowl on the table, her eyes looking down at the soup with distrust while Gobber was staring at her sadly. He's the only one who noticed her distance, knowing that she needed help more than ever. But for their help, it was too late for Kari. She didn't trust any of them. "Kari... Take a break."