Six: Six Years Later

After a year that Hiccup watched Kari jump off of the cliff, he shot down and befriended Toothless. For the years later, the last image of Kari haunted him. He couldn't get her out of his nightmares and he could never stop the guilt he felt.

Dagur kept true to his word, he saw Hiccup as an enemy for years to come. But... There was something else that was different to the ways that Dagur was attacking Hiccup; a feeling that Hiccup couldn't shake. It felt... more.

Hiccup always blamed himself, knowing that he everything right to do so as well. Because it was his last action that pushed her over the edge; literally.

Sketches of Kari spread out around him, notebooks and loose pages. He used the art to deal with his guilt, because no one would talk about Kari. No one care.

Hallr was happier than ever now that Kari was gone; complaining every now and then that he didn't have anyone to order around and about the things that he had to do now that she was gone. It disgusted Hiccup, but he knew he had no right to speak. He used Kari to get into the group of kids who were horrible to him.

But Gobber... He really had thought that maybe he could find hope with Gobber; wishing that someone really would care besides him. But Gobber apologized hours upon hours to Frey, Kari's mother.

"Let's get going bud." Hiccup said to Toothless as the alpha cooed at him worriedly. Valka pressed a hand on his shoulder as the brunette tried to leave. "Mother... please."

"Oh... okay." She whispered, noticing it was one of those days where it was bad for Hiccup. Ever since she's got back to stay at Berk, she's noticed there's been days where he's not mentally present and leaves to clear his head. It was those days that he usually created those sketches.

After talking to Gobber, she found out that it was a girl named Kari. She barely remembers Kari, her birth was something that was not supposed to happen. Kari was born dead, but somehow she came minutes later. No one understand what happened and called her a cursed child.

But what took Valka by surprise was that Gobber told her that Hiccup watched Kari throw herself off the cliff side. He explained how close they were and Valka understands that the death must still be haunting him; so she tries her best to help him when days like this happen.

— — —

Footsteps bounded through the caverns, her figure jumping. She hit the walls, getting higher before grabbing the hanging pole. Sunlight highlighted the fire red hair as she lunged out of the cavern, her lips pulling in a small smile as she fell onto the iced wall.

Gracefully she guided her sliding, taking the arrow from her side pouch to dig into the ice and spun her body to the side before she slid off the side of the ice. Her body rolled as she landed on the edge, going into the hallway and breaking into a run. She spun the arrow as she jumped from the edge, pulling back the string and releasing the arrow.

The target swung from the force of the hit, a grown woman landed on the ground with a small slid. Her head lifted, seeing the dragons standing there and watching her. She smiled at them, laying the bow on the ground and sat in front of them.

Silver trotted in front of the redhead, nuzzling against her rider and cooed in good morning to her. She smiled as she watched the dragons bow their head; leaving the pair. She's been training with them for a couple years; working on her archery. "I did it."

Silver pressed against her happily, cooing and nipping at her cheek. The alpha called out, echoing out to the abandoned temple. Dragons lifted their head, hearing their alpha's call and knowing what it meant. "Come on Silver! It's time for breakfast!"