Chapter 36 - Language!

The picture frame lay smashed amidst the destroyed apartment catching Steve's eye. She looked exactly the same, her smiling face sending his heart ablaze with longing. The words scrawled over the phone sent a shiver running down his spine.

Steve Rogers is a hypocrite. Tony Stark was one of few people who would ever say it to his face. Pre serum Steve would run headlong into danger to save people but here he was angry at his unbonded mate for doing the same.

Steve had reread the file a dozen times over; memorizing every line but still couldn't understand her actions. He had known Buck since they were young and part of them had always known that they were something more. They had been bound for years but Layla Jones was something new, something he couldn't fully understand. The file showed her actions were brash, often putting herself in the line of fire and violently eliminating an enemy. Then she had simply disappeared presumed dead but SHIELD had connected her movements to dozens of assassinations and disappearances through history. She was strong and defiant and he loved every bit of it.

"Focus Capsicle!" Steve's head snapped up glaring at Stark. Tony ignored him going back to hacking into Layla's computer.

As soon as Friday had lifted the lock down the Avengers had split up. Bruce and Vision stayed at the tower to monitor the boy they had found after the fight. He was alive but unconscious from shock and blood loss. Stark had quickly brought Steve to Layla's apartment and set to work searching for any clue of where she might have gone.

Steve's eye lingered on the freshly painted hand, the haunting drawing directly contrasted the homely feel of the apartment. He tried not to but Steve could see himself here, making pancakes in the morning for his mates. Watching movies together as the three of them cuddled on the worn couch. The simple life with Buck and Layla.

"Come on Cupcake give me something!" Stark pleaded desperately typing into the computer. He was barely holding it together hopelessly searching for any clue of where she might have gone. Layla had been protecting him his whole life even from himself. She had stepped in front when Howard raised his drunken hand adding triggers to ensure that he would never hurt Tony ever again. Layla was always warm and friendly offering a smile or a word of wisdom even when she wasn't happy. And when Peter had come she brought him under her wing as well protecting him just like Tony.

'Voice Recognition Accepted! Welcome You Stubborn Child!' The computer flickered as files began to pop up all over the screen. Steve watched over Tony's shoulder as redacted government files and old photos scrolled in front of their eyes.

"What is all this?" Steve muttered scanning over things as they appeared.

Tony didn't know how to answer him as a photo popped up on the screen. A white hand was stamped over the image.

Tony's genius mind began slowly putting all the pieces of the puzzle together until it all clicked into place "Friday? Where is this?"

The AI quickly scanned the image through Tony's glasses "It appears to be Alkali Lake in Canada. According to Miss Jones files there is a base built into the dam that conducted illegal experimentation in forced mutation and energy manipulation."

Tony thought back to what Layla had told him "She told me they wanted to restart their experiments using her and that infinity stone she carries around in her back pocket. If that's the case then this is where they would have taken Barnes and the kid, she'll be heading there."

Tony let out an unmanly squeal, quickly grabbing the laptop as Steve slung the billionaire over his shoulder "Then what the fuck are we waiting for!" 

*Don't Forget to Drop a Comment*

-And for god sake watch your language ;)-