Chapter 41 - The Ultimate Peace

"Claire..." Peter trailed off in a daze feeling under his blood soaked shirt for the tell tale bullet hole but it wasn't there. Not even a scratch remained of the once deadly wound.

"Hush don't talk! Save your strength kid, you are alive, that's all that matters!" I hugged Peter tightly trying not to think about the betrayed look on my daughter's face when I brought Peter back.

"Layla! Get out of there! Sister!" People were yelling my name but I could barely hear it over the thundering noise that pounded off the walls. It felt like an ice cold hand wrapping around my lungs squeezing every last drop of air from them. The metal walls boxed us in, covered in the scratches of others who had once been trapped in the container desperately trying to escape. There was a small window through which I could see Victor pounding against the door.

"Layl...." Victor's voice became muffled by the roar of the machine powering up. The waves from the stone forced the Avengers back, leaving only Victor. His skin kept peeling off and healing over as the energy tore him apart.

I had never cared about dying but I was sure as hell not going to let Peter die with me after I had gone through all that trouble bringing him back. I gently set Peter on the floor before charging at the door, throwing my body against it. The metal groaned under the force but held firm.

"Come on you son of a bitch!"

My fists beat against the window Victor followed my lead focusing his blows on the window causing a crack in the glass. The combined force of our blows finally shattered the window. Without a moment's hesitation I quickly scooped Peter up into my arms.

"Miss Layla?" Peter whimpered at the sudden movement.

I couldn't let him die not here which is why I made the ultimate leap of faith. Which is why I handed Peter through the small window. "I'm trusting you brother I'm trusting you to take him to safety please for me."

Victor just stared at me gently cradling Peter in his arms. The poor kid looked so small, nearly disappearing in Victor's trench coat "Please I'm not leaving you again Sister."

A sad smile graced its way across my face "If we had the time I might ask you what made you switch sides but we really are out of time. I'll try and absorb as much of the stone's energy as I can before it tears me apart, buying you guys enough time to get as far away as possible. Find Wade now, run brother!"

I held out my hand, summoning the stone to me as my hand closed around it. I could feel its power all around me whipping through the facility. The stone and I became one my feet leaving the ground as the golden energy whirled around me. Little by little I drew the power into myself. It was overwhelming tearing me apart from the inside out but I kept going drawing more into myself, I had too.

"Goodbye my loves..." the whisper became lost in the hurricane of energy as my body began to glow gold. I no longer felt the pain bit by bit my body began to disappear consumed by the overwhelming power of the stone.

Was it selfish of me to fear the end after so long of wishing for death I didn't want to die. But for them, for the people I love I would gladly do it again if it meant that they had a chance.

My eyes fluttered closed as I absorbed the last bit of power feeling only peace as my body disintegrated into nothingness.

*Don't Forget to drop a comment!*