Chapter 39 - Resurrection

"Boss, be careful there is an unknown energy spiking from in there!" Friday warned as Tony blasted through the doors only to be blown backwards as a shock wave of energy threw him against the wall. Luckily his suit took most of the damage but Tony certainly felt the concrete cracking from the force.

"Son of a bitch! Layla!" Tony yelled, pushing the fallen concrete off himself. Pietro sped past Tony with Wanda in his arms only to get blown backwards luckily Wanda used her magic in time to cushion the blow as they hit the wall next to him.

Layla took no notice of Tony, clutching the limp body in her arms as tears streamed down her face. She could feel his soul slowly slipping away desperately trying to keep him from passing on. It was Chicago all over again, another child dying before their time as Layla desperately tried to save them.

No! Her hold slipped for just a second and he was gone. Layla screamed indespair as her ward died in her arms. She had promised him she would protect him and now he was dead. But not yet, she could fix this. Her gold energy wrapped around Peter's body basking in its golden glow healing protecting his vessel from harm as Layla chased his soul into the soul realm. Layla could bring him back, she was stronger now and would bring his soul back before he crossed the arch.

The sudden silence was deafening Layla knelt unmoving holding a small bloody body to her chest her body glowed basking the room its golden hue.

Steve and Bucky caught up with the others as Tony climbed from the wreck dusting his suit off.

"What happened?" Bucky murmured he could take his eye off her as she kneeled with her back to him. Layla was so close he could almost reach out and touch her.

"Layla?" Tony cautiously approached his godmother "Friday talk to me buttercup"

"Boss, I'm sorry but I can't detect a heartbeat from Miss. Jones."

Victor froze when Layla went silent, Catherine was too busy powering the machine to notice Victor looking back at his sister. She never understood he was doing this for them once he brought Anna back then they could bring Claire back. Layla would forgive him when it was over he would have Anna back and they could be a family all of them together forever.

The huge machine began to whirl to life the platform that Layla and the child knelt on retracted back as the heavy door sealed their bodies into the machine.

Layla suddenly gasped sucking greedly for air as she returned to the land of living holding the kid to her chest "It's okay I got you..." suddenly Peter convulsed clutching onto her as he regained consciousness.

"Miss Layla?"

*Don't Forget to Drop a Comment!*