latte

TW: sexual harassment 

*things will not be in the exact order that they are in the show but it will be close*

________

I water crashing through my mind I 

A car pulls up outside. I can see it clearly through the window. It's the car from the Institution. They are most likely here to take me back. 

"I have to go," I mutter to Five. He still hasn't told me how he got back. Hasn't said a word since I told him the story of what it was like here without him. 

His face is a picture of stone. The only thing that gives away any sort of emotion are his hands clenched in his lap. Knuckles white against his dark suit. It is strange to see him in a suit—at the physical age of 13, but Five was always determined to appear debonair. 

Five does not even speak to me as I walk away. Out the door. Down the stairs, past Alison, past Luther, past Diego, past Klaus, past Vanya. I can sense their eyes on me. Sense their fear. But it fades as I disappear out the front door. 

The car is dark as night. It is the same one that dropped me off earlier today—precisely three hours ago. Three hours ago, Five was still gone.  Three hours ago, at least I knew he cared about me before he left. Now I'm not sure he cares at all. 

"Nice family reunion?" The driver asks, handing me a pair of sunglasses. I was not wearing them in the house, I realize. Perhaps that was why my dear siblings were so reluctant to look at me. Talk to me. 

"You could say that," I answer casually, putting the sunglasses on my face. 

The driver, whom I do not know very well does not put the barrier up this time. He instead, glances at me in the rear view mirror. His eyes scan me in a way that makes my skin crawl. 

"It's a shame you have to wear those sunglasses," His pale mustache twitches slightly, and his beady eyes narrow. "No one can see your pretty face." 

"That's because I don't have a pretty face," I snap, glaring at him through my tinted world. He chuckles lowly, and leers. His hands tap on the steering wheel. 

"You know, I gave you some extra time there with your family," he points at the clock. It is indeed half an hour later than I was supposed to be back. "It was a kind gesture of me." 

Does he wish to have an award or something? 

"Was it now?" I ask coldly. "Do you want a medal?" 

He takes my retort as some kind of joke. "I had something else in mind," the creepy driver winks at me. Starts driving. I swear that I see a face in the window of the Umbrella Academy, watching me disappear down the road. 

I'd hoped that the driver would stay silent. Put the barrier back up and ignore me for the rest of the trip. But unfortunately my luck has gone out the window along with my other hopes and dreams for a peaceful life. 

Outside, it is  a stony gray. The street signs fly by. Familiar buildings that I have never had the pleasure of entering. 

"Hey, do you like coffee?" The driver turns around, pulling up to a coffee shop. He smiles in a way that is supposed to be genuine, but looks almost intimidating. "I could buy you some coffee." He leans over, touching my leg. "I bet you've never had coffee before." His hand lingers a second too long. 

I am about to punch him in the face when he leans over further, rancid breath on my face. He is about to kiss me. And I cannot bring my hands up to take my sunglasses off. There's no way to fight him—

"I'm sure she'll try coffee sometime," A sarcastic voice says, as the driver gets yanked out of the car. Five pins the pedophile against the wall, snapping his neck clean. "Just not with you." 

I brush off my clothes, trying to get the stench of the creepy driver off me. "Did you have to kill him?" 

Five rounds on me next. "Y/N, love, you're not supposed to get into cars with pedophiles," he wipes his hands off, eyeing the body. He came back. He's wearing an Umbrella Academy uniform now.

"Wow. Thanks for the brilliant advice." 

Five walks up to me. "You didn't give me the chance to explain anything," his voice is surprisingly patient. He leans forward, taking the sunglasses off my face. "Stop covering your eyes." He stares at me, clearly not afraid of my powers. "You don't have to do that." 

"I think I do," I try to take them back but he drops them on the ground, stomping on them with one foot. 

He shrugs. "Would you look at that? They're destroyed." 

I fight the urge to roll my eyes. "You said you wanted to explain. So explain." 

"Coffee first?" 

The shop that Five used to always disappear to. Griddy's Donuts. It is small, with a warm interior. The chairs are tall and wooden, and we sit at a bench. Soon after we arrive, a man comes in, sitting on Five's other side. 

A lady named Agnes takes our order. She turns to the man first. 

"Sorry, sink was clogged," Agnes eyes me. I probably look strange. I haven't brushed my hair in weeks, nor have I ever owned more than two outfits at a time. "So..what'll it be?" 

"Gimme a chocolate eclair," the man says, nodding. I wonder what an eclair is. 

"Mhm sure. Can I get the kid and his girlfriend some milk or something?" Agnes smiles. 

"The kid wants coffee," Five orders. "Black." He looks at me. "And a latte for my girlfriend." He grins widely, which is slightly unnerving. 

"Girlfriend?" I mouth. 

He just continues grinning like an idiot. 

"Cute kid," Agnes puts her notepad away. When neither of us respond, she leaves to get our order. 

"What is a latte?" I blink. 

"It's coffee," Five answers shortly. "And then we're going to go get you some different clothes. Because it's hard to be inconspicuous when you look like a mental patient." 

The man beside us gives us a quick glance. 

"I am a mental patient, Five." 

The man scoots away.