eye

I i know I'm young but my mind is well beyond my years I

The way he looks at me feels like I'm already a criminal being prosecuted. Reginald's dark eyes bore into mine as he slid a piece of paper in front of me.

"Do you recognize this man?" his tone is calm, even. But he always wants something from me, even if it's something I cannot give. The picture shows a boy with unruly blonde hair, perhaps 17 years old. This is the only time Reginald has ever visited me in the Institution, and it's because he wants me to track down a known criminal.

"I don't know who that is," I say flatly. "Who is that?"

Reginald snaps the paper down flat on the table.

"This is 16 year old Lorenzo Denvers," Reginald answers in a grave voice. He flips the picture over where there is writing. "His parents have hired me to find him for them. He is wanted for several crimes, so it is critical that we find him quickly."

I narrow my eyes. "And none of your other subjects were willing?"

He does not answer this. "Find him, Eight. Now." he places a small tape recorder in front of me, pressing play. The boy's voice echoes through the tiny cell.

"-hi, my name is Lorenzo, and I'm here to talk to you about......" The tape recorder sizzles slightly, sound breaking.

I take my sunglasses off, closing my eyes. I can feel the emotion behind his voice, yet there is a large quantity of fear behind his tone. He's terrified of something, I can tell. It is all too convenient that Reginald could find a voice recording of someone who was terrified.

I zone in on his voice, shoving my powers out to attempt to find the fear it belongs to. I sense it on the edge of my brain, a tingling sensation that points me out the door. Down the street, into the world. 

"Where is he?" Reginald demands.

I frown. "I can feel him, but not his exact location."

"Take me there." 

"What exactly is your plan?" Klaus hisses as we walk through the door. Five wears a smug smirk as per usual—he expects to get what he wants because he believes he is the intellectual superior out of everyone. This may be true, but his ego could be left in the shit future. 

Five doesn't spare Klaus a glance, striding into the building. 

It is very white, with window panes covering every inch of the place. Several plants are strewn around to give some kind of colour. The tables are pristine and everyone looks well groomed. 

"Hello there," A man walks up to us, his eyes traveling over Five, then to me, then finally to Klaus. His gaze lingers on me for a split second. "Can I help you?" 

Five gives the man a prize winning smile. "I found this—and I was wondering if you could tell me who it belongs to." 

The woman behind the desk raises an eyebrow. "What a kind young gentleman." 

Five inhales. "Yes, well, could you?" 

The man blinks. "Where'd you find it?" He adjusts his lab coat, clearing his throat. 

"On a playground," Five lies effectively. "It must have just—" he clicks his tongue. "Popped out." 

The space is large, but it feels small. Like the walls could close in. The whiteness is blinding me, turning my skin inside out, just like at the Institution. I breathe in the sharp chemical filled air. It sends a tang down the back of my throat, searing my lungs. I can't breathe. 

I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe. I can't breathe—

"Y/N?" Five's gaze snaps to mine. He stops talking to the man. "Are you okay?" 

The woman behind the desk stands up with concern, phone in hand, ready to call someone. 

I nod quickly. Force air through my lungs. 

Even Klaus looks worried. 

"Yes. I'm fine." I pull out a pair of sunglasses that I stole from the store, putting them on. The world goes tinted again. 

Five clears his throat. "As I said, I'd really like to find the owner of this eye." 

The man pauses to glance at me again. I'm sure he thinks I'm deranged. "Yes well, unfortunately, young man, we can't give away personal information like that, but I can just take that eye of your hands and see that it's returned—" he reaches out for the eye. 

"Call me young man again and see what happens," Five hisses, pulling the eye back. "You aren't getting this eye until you tell me who it belongs to." 

Klaus places a fatherly hand on Five's shoulders. "Calm down son," he says unconvincingly. "See, my son here. He really needs this eye for his uh—school project. His project was to do a good deed in the community..." Klaus pauses. "And he found this eye," he puts his hands over his heart. "Bless him and his generosity. Now, he has to write a reflection as to who the good deed was for..so he just, he just really needs a name." 

I can hear the man's heartbeat steadily intensifying. He's scared of something. His eyes travel over me again, narrowing in on my face. Which is currently covered by sunglasses. 

"I'll—I'll have you step into my office for a minute," he says quickly, turning to the receptionist. We step into his office as he whispers something to her. She turns to stare at us for a second before nervously resting her hands on the table. Her heartbeat increases too. 

"Without—without the patients consent we really can't release this information," he answers. "So there's really nothing else I can uh-do for you." 

Klaus doesn't miss a beat. "What about my consent?" 

"Excuse me?" 

"Who gave you permission to lay your hands on my son," he points at Five without looking at him. 

"What? I didn't touch your son." 

"Oh yeah? Then how did he get a swollen lip?" Klaus demands. 

"He doesn't have a swollen lip—" 

Klaus smacks Five across the face. 

"You are crazy," the man breathes. 

"No actually, that would be her," Klaus hooks a finger at me. I lower my sunglasses, giving him a glare and he chalks up. 

Turning to the man, I stare at him closely. A bead of sweat drips down his brow. 

"Mr. Biggs," I smile sweetly. "I appreciate your contribution to the medical system and I would think you could do us a tiny favour? No. One. Has. To. Know." My eyes cloud. "You wouldn't want people to find out that you're cheating on your wife with her best friend?" A beat. "Would you?" 

He continues to sweat. "You're the girl, aren't you? The one who," he struggles to breathe. "The one who caused the Great Panic." 

I carefully remove my sunglasses, staring into his dry eyes. 

"Boo." 

And he promptly passes out, slumping over his desk chair. 

"Sir?" The lady outside stands up. Dials a number. "Sir? Are you okay?" 

"We should go," Klaus raises an eyebrow. 

"Wait a damn moment," Five sprints out, running to the supply cabinet. He sifts through the papers. "The serial number." He mutters to himself. "It's all categorized by the serial numbers but...." 

"You can't be back there!" The woman quakes when I turn to stare at her. 

Five curses. "The eye hasn't been made yet." 

"So this was all for nothing?" Klaus groans. "Do I still get my 20 bucks?" 

"Stop right there," A loud imposing voice says. "Give us the girl, and you can leave." 

Twenty armed soldiers enter the room, guns all pointed at me.