tattoo

I everybody in the world knows I'm a little twisted I

I've always wondered what it would be like to celebrate Christmas. To have happy memories from family dinners. Watching the Christmas tree light up for the first time. The thrill of opening presents on Christmas morning. At time that is simply for you and your family. 

Reginald didn't do presents. Especially for those of us who misbehaved. 

Vanya's apartment is small and cozy. It suits her style to a terrifying degree. The couches are positioned perfectly in line and her coffee table is a bland colour that matches the theme. She has a small kitchenette on the other side of the room. Five pill bottles sit on the window sill. 

Five does not knock on the door. 

He opens the door, going straight to the fridge. Wine is the first thing he pulls out. It becomes apparent that Vanya is not home. 

"Should we be here when she's out?" I wonder aloud, sitting down on the couch. It is softer than the beds at the Umbrella Academy. 

"Vanya won't mind," Five says airily, pouring himself a large cup of alcohol. He drinks deeply, placing the cup down on the counter. The lights are dull, only filling the room with a damp sort of brightness. "Do you sense her at all?" 

Vanya is one of the members of the Academy who is scared wherever she goes. She is quiet like a mouse, and mice are often scared. I can sense people's fear--and sometimes distinguish whose fear I am sensing. Unlike Vanya, Five has only ever had an ounce of fear once in my memory. My head sears as I am threatened to be sent back in the memory. 

"She's outside," I reply. "Lay off the wine, Five." 

He gives me a look of utmost annoyance. "No." Five looks poised and unpoised at the same time. His hair is messy from spacial jumping all around town to get here, and his clothes are ruffled. But his expression is utterly determined, a mask that he only lets down once in a while. 

The memory flickers into my head again. And this time, I do not try to stop it. 

The tattoo artist has just finished Five's umbrella. It is black--but his skin is red and irritated where the needle drove into his wrist. I am next in line. Five has put on a brave face, and didn't once cry out like Alison did. 

"Next," he calls, voice gruff. His gloves snap onto his wrists, black like the umbrella I am about to have branded onto me. The machine buzzes. My sunglasses, too big for my face, nearly cover my cheeks. Anger pulses through my veins. 

Why must I have a tattoo? Where's my consent? It is nonexistent. 

"Please don't," I whisper. "I don't want one, thanks." 

The man pauses. 

Reginald snaps at me. "Don't argue, Number Eight. This is necessary for the--" 

I turn to the tattoo artist. "Please don't do this, sir." He seems to hesitate, glancing at Reginald for orders. 

"Now." 

Panic floods through me. I can feel Five's eyes on me, begging me to just cooperate. Alison and Luther are holding each other in the corner. Klaus is suffering on the couch. 

"No." My voice hardens. "No. No. No. No." 

"THAT'S ENOUGH!" Reginald raises his voice. My hands shake as I remove my sunglasses. Everyone except for Five and the tattoo artist covers their eyes. I look at the man. His eyes become glassy as he stares at me. 

I close my fist--tighten it in front of my face. Breathe in. 

"Boo."  Breathe out. 

And then he is gone. Reduced to dust. My power had never done this before. Reginald grabs me angrily. Shoves the sunglasses so hard onto my face that it jabs me in the forehead. Drags me away towards the basement. 

"No! Y/N!" Five calls, his eyes filled with a horrified expression. "Y/N!" 

The only time I felt fear in him. Except it wasn't fear for himself. 

It was fear for me. 

I come back to reality. 

A couple of seconds later, there is a key in the lock. Vanya opens the door, jumping with surprise. Jolts of fear spread through her stomach before settling. 

"God, you scared me!" Vanya closes the door behind her, her eyes blinking at the bottle of wine on the counter and the plentiful amount in Five's cup. "Did you have to sit here in the dark?" 

"Your lights are shit," Five points out. "And you shouldn't leave your windows unlocked." 

"I live on the second floor." 

"Rapists can climb," adds Five as he puts his cup down. His entire uniform is flecked with blood from the soldiers. I realize mine is as well. 

"Oh my god," Vanya looks closer at us. "Is that blood?" 

I take off my jacket, even though my white shirt is still stained with red droplets. My jacket falls on the floor. It is pitch black outside. Probably a good night for stargazing. The storm that hit us earlier has passed, leaving the sky clear. 

"Don't worry, it's not mine," Five answers. "or hers." 

"I wasn't worried about that," Vanya murmurs. "What are you doing here?" she sits down next to Five on the couch opposite from me. Nearly nonchalantly, Five stands up to retrieve another cup of wine and when he sits down, he sits beside me. 

Though there is an expanse of space on the other side of the couch, he chooses to sit right beside me, his knee pressed against mine. 

Vanya notices, but she doesn't comment. 

"I've decided that you're the only one we can trust," Five sips his wine. I stare at it, willing it to disappear. Five never makes good decisions when he is intoxicated. Carefully, I place my hand over his, over the glass. He glances at me. Lets me take the cup out of his hand and put it down. 

Vanya is no longer hiding her surprise. 

"Why?" for a second I think she is asking why Five let me take away his drink. "Why me?" 

"Because you're ordinary," Five states--it is a well known fact. I would have given anything to be ordinary like Vanya. "When I jumped into the future, what do you think I found?" he raises his eyebrows. 

"I don't know." 

"Nothing," Five shrugs. "Absolutely nothing." His eyes glaze over. "As far as I could tell, I was the last person left alive. I never figured out what killed the human race, or why. But I did find something else." 

"What?" 

"The date it happens," he says gravely. "The world ends in eight days. And I have no idea how to stop it."