moon

I all the lonely people I 

Five promptly falls asleep on the library floor, his arm draped over Dolores, the other reaching for the empty bottle of wine. I kick it out of his reach, leaning back against the wall. I let my eyes close as I think. Just think. 

I block out the sounds of other people. Their fear. Their worries. Footsteps get farther and farther away until I can no longer hear them walking by. Can no longer hear them talking or breathing. 

The apocalypse is coming. It's nearly here and we've made no progress to stop it. Vanya's run off with terrible knowledge of her powers and there's a maniac on the loose near her. My powers are nowhere close to being in control. Things are spiraling quickly, and there is no solution anywhere on the horizon. 

"Y/N," Five's voice is groggy. I open my eyes. His hair is ruffled--eyes weary and he's still half asleep. "You're still here." He smiles to himself. "I'm sorry." 

"Sorry for what?" I ask, confused. "What do you mean?" 

His eyelids flicker shut. "Nevermind." and he falls back asleep again. This time, he lets Dolores fall to the ground. She hits the floor softly, head dismembering itself from her shoulders. My eyebrows raise when Five doesn't even bother to lift his head. 

A couple minutes later, Diego's voice calls from the other side of the library. 

"Five? Y/N?" he approaches quietly. "Holy shit," he eyes the bottle that I kicked away. "Are you drunk? Both of you?" 

Five doesn't stir. 

"He is," I answer. Diego's gaze lands on me carefully. He hands me a new pair of sunglasses. I lower my eyes and put them on. I suppose this is necessary. "I found him like this." 

Diego nods briefly. "Alison and Luther went after Vanya and Leonard." the hairs on my arms bristle as I hear his name. 

"They shouldn't have," I mutter. 

"What?" 

"They shouldn't have gone after Leonard," I repeat. "There's something strange about him. Not....right." 

Diego's eyes flick to the side. "What are you saying?" 

"I think he's crazy," I admit. "There's something about him that just--" I shake my head. "It doesn't matter right now. We should get Five back." 

Diego nods curtly. "We can take him back to my place." He winces as he stares at the boy on the ground. "Idiot." 

"Moron." Five breathes out without missing a beat. He's still asleep, but apparently his tongue is just as sharp either way. 

Diego grunts, adjusting his knife belt as he lifts Five up over his shoulder. "God he's heavy." he starts walking. "Come on, Y/N." 

I follow behind. 

It's dark outside. Very dark. The moon is a tiny sliver in the sky, staring down at us. Peeking through a blanked of darkness. The stars are alight. I stare up at them. They are calming. Aware. Peaceful. 

Somewhere along the walk, Five stirs. His eyelids flutter open. He seems to be a little bit more in his right mind, but I'm not entirely sure. 

"Diego, I've got a nice view of your ass from here." 

Diego glares, flipping him around to carry him bridal style.  

The boy lets out a small laugh. "You know what's funny? I'm going through puberty. Huh." pause. "Twice." Five trails off. "I drank that whole bottle, didn't I? I guess that's what I get for being a fucking idiot." 

"Why do you think you're an idiot? I mean, you are, but why do you think you are?" Diego asks with a long sigh. 

"I did something bad," Five yawns. "The world's going poof. Along with my sanity. And my virginity..." 

My eyes widen at that. 

"Five, I don't want to hear about your sexual encounters while you're drunk as a skunk. Shut up." warns Diego. He turns a corner into an alleyway. "We're here." 

Diego's apartment is small, but it suits him. There's a few posters and several million knives on the wall. He drops Five on the bed where he promptly falls asleep again. 

"You know, if I knew he wasn't such an asshole I would say he looks pretty adorable right now," Diego comments quietly, tilting his head to the side. He grabs a belt with more knives off the wall, exchanging them. "Don't you agree, Y/N?" 

I don't answer. 

Diego hums to himself for a second. "I'm going out. I'll be back." he pauses at the doorway. "Also, you can take those sunglasses off. You don't really need them--it was stupid of me to bring them." 

The door opens and closes. 

"Y/N," Five's voice is muffled by the pillow. He lifts his head sleepily. "Come sleep with me." 

I take my sunglasses off reluctantly, placing them on one of Diego's side tables. "Please?" Five whines when I don't answer. 

"Go to sleep, Five." 

"Please?" 

I sigh. Walk over to the bed. Sit down on it. I inhale deeply, relaxing. My head lands on the pillow and I'm asleep before my brain can attempt to tell me this is a bad idea.