monster

TW: blood and violence 

I goddamn right you should be scared of me I 

Not an inch of fear radiates off of the soldiers. They are trained for this. Trained to fight people like me. I recognize the tiny labels on the right hand side of their uniforms. They belong to the institution. I've only come across their soldiers once and it was not a particularly pleasant experience. 

Klaus immediately puts his hands up in surrender, backing off. He shivers slightly and I can feel the fear on him. Five shows no sign of fear. 

"The girl is not up for bargaining," Five says, cocking an eyebrow. He takes a step forward only to have a gun pointed directly in his face. "Personal space, yeah?" He does not react, simply breathes quietly and spacial jumps behind them. 

The soldiers converge, attempting to catch him. One of them aims at me, attempting to take fire. 

"Stop! They want her alive!" Another roars, and a tiny bolt of fear races through his veins. They? Someone he is scared of. 

I step forward. Channel the bit of fear I felt. 

"Boo." 

The man's eyes glaze over as the soldiers aim for me. Guns fire. Five yells something at me. I don't feel bullets. I don't feel pain. I don't feel anything at all. A dark force pulls me from within and I finally let it take over. 

The monster erupts and it's like I'm watching the scene from the ceiling, or rather, inside myself. A dark cloud of dust pulls at my skin, escaping my body through my eyes. It obstructs my vision for a second, dispersing into the white room. Turning it dark

The soldiers yell with shock. They have not come across this before. They back up, aiming wildly. Glass shatters from the windows. People run for cover. Klaus hides under a desk. Even Five backs up towards the door, wary. Wary of me. 

A stray bullet flies backwards as the men diverge and aim at the black dust that is now surrounding them. A sharp cry from the boy standing behind door. 

The demon hones in on him, itching to attack the most vulnerable. I am no longer in control. The room spins as the black dust surrounds it, turning the soldiers to nothing. Absolutely nothing. They evaporate into thin air, one by one, consumed by their fear. 

"Five!" Klaus bellows as the boy collapses. He crawls out from the desk, stopping in front of me. My hair wafts around my face like a deathly halo. My eyes are pitch black, and the fear dust surrounds my body, floating in the air in front of me. 

"Five." My voice feels detached from my body. 

My eyelids flutter shut and the dust settles on the ground. 

"Five." 

My vision clears. The monster calms down, purring from within me. It is clearly pleased. I dig my fingernails into my thumb. Walk over to Five, where he lays, panting. Blood seeps from a wound in his stomach. A bullet wound. 

"Shit," Klaus's eyes dart to me, and for a second I know he forgets that I'm still his sister. Remembers that I'm not just the little girl who was scared of her 'father'. Remembers that I am responsible for ten thousand deaths. "He needs to get back to the house." 

"It's nothing," Five grunts, trying to stand up. "I've had worse." 

"Sit your ass back down," Klaus snaps, glancing around at the wreckage. Piles of dust have settled on the ground. The alarms are going off, and the windows have all shattered. "Okay. Okay this is fine. We can figure this out." 

He takes Five under the arms, helping him to walk out the building. Down the stairs. 

"Vanya's house is closer." Five says, his breathing becoming shallower. 

"Hurry up," Klaus mutters to himself as we limp down the sidewalk. It's two blocks away. I nearly lose track of the time as we make it to her building. Up the stairs. Each stair is a marathon within itself. 

Five pants as he collapses onto the couch. "Get it out." He breathes. "Get it out." Klaus helps him out of his jacket. Lifts his shirt. 

I grab towels from the bathroom as Klaus grabs a pair of tweezers. 

"This is going to hurt," he warns, surveying the site of injury. It's not too deep. Klaus takes a quick breath before digging the tweezers in. Five's eyes glaze over with pain as Klaus grabs the bullet, pulling it out and tossing it onto the table. The silver metal glints. Klaus wraps it with a bandage. 

"I'm going to get more supplies," he says quickly. Takes off his jacket. Opens the door and closes it. He doesn't look at me once. 

Five's breathing settles a bit. Klaus returns once with food and medicine. Then he leaves again. 

Six hours pass calmly as Five comes in and out of sleep. I sit next to him, wide awake. Heart pounding in my ears. 

Five wakes up again, wincing. 

He takes a sip of water. Lays back down. 

"I need to check the dressing," Five murmurs, his eyes closed. 

"I'll do it," I offer. 

"No, it's fine." He heaves a quick breath. Attempts to sit up. Pain flashes through his eyes and his muscles tense. "Shit." His eyes squeeze shut as a tiny breath escapes his lips. "I'm fine, I'm fine." 

"You aren't fine," I insist, pushing him back down. He doesn't protest, heaving for breath. Leaning back against the couch. His Adam's apple bobs in his throat as he swallows. "Just let me do it." 

I throw the pillows of the way, sitting nearly on top of him to unwrap the dressings. Legs on either side of his hips. The cotton wrap is nearly soaked in blood and I move around trying to reach the fresh dressing that tumbled onto the floor. 

Five inhales sharply as I inch forward to re-wrap it. 

"I can do it now," he reaches for it. 

"Stop it, you dumbass," I push his hands away, pinning them above his head. Five smirks. "Shut up, I'm fixing you." 

He lifts his hips slightly to re-adjust and I nearly tip forward. I roll my eyes. Throw the dirty dressing on the table and re-wrap the new bandage around his middle. The safety pin is on the ground too. I huff. Inch my hips forward to grab it. 

I feel something else. 

Five exhales quickly. Uncomfortably clears his throat. I stare at his face. He grins slightly, sheepishly. An expression that makes him look his age for once. 

"You going to fix that too?"