𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟐: 𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐜𝐮𝐟𝐟𝐬

TW: talk of weapons/death/injury

"Come on, pick up, pick up," I mumbled as I tried to phone back the number Elijah called on just a few seconds ago. The phone number wasn't one I recognised, but I could pick out Elijah's voice anywhere.

Any tiredness I had felt beforehand vanished in an instant, being replaced with pure adrenalin as I paced from one side of the kitchen to the other.

"For God's Sake." I cursed, bringing my hand up and rubbing my face when nobody answered again.

I took a deep breath, "Okay, new plan." I realised I sounded like a crazy person talking to myself, but my mental stability was always slightly out of equilibrium anyway.

I scrolled back through my contacts, putting the phone on speaker as I sat down at the table, trying to calm my heartbeat as the device rang.

The ringing stopped as the monotone voice I had learned to love answered the phone, "Hotchner."

"Oh, thank the Lord himself. Hi, it's Ada, Ada Dawson." I greeted.

"Yes, I know who you are Ada Dawson" He spoke, "Is everything okay? It's past midnight."

In the chaos I had completely forgotten about the time, I looked out the kitchen window into the pitch darkness of the night sky, the moon creating a bright ring of glistening light across the empty canvas, "Well shit, I would say that this could wait until morning, but it can't. I have a problem."

"Are you still not feeling well?" He questioned, "I'm not sure how much help I can be with that, unless you just want the company?"

Huh, tempting.

"No, I'm feeling okay. But I got a phone call," I started slowly, "From Elijah."

Hotch was quiet for a moment, "What did he want?"

"My help. It sounded like he was in pain, he just kept saying how sorry he was. I know that he has said some horrible things, but he's my brother, Aaron, I need to find out what's going on. Please, can you help me?" I finished quietly, I knew that Hotch hadn't been the biggest fan of Elijah since the whole ordeal a couple of weeks ago, but I hoped that he cared for me enough to put that aside.

"What do you suggest we do?" He asked, I could hear the jangling of keys on the line.

"We could try his house. And then track the phone number, but I doubt we will get anything from that, it seems too easy."

"Shall I call the team?" Hotch queried; hesitation obvious in his voice.

"No, I- no." I let out a breath, "I don't want them knowing about everything, can we just work this together?"

"If that's what you want, I'll be round in half an hour."

I let out a sigh of relief, "Thank you, Aaron."