Chapter 22

Enrick eventually awoke from his slumber. Once he opened his eyes he lay unmoving for a bit, just staring at the ceiling before sighing once enough time had passed and sat up. He rubbed his mask before getting up and walking towards the kitchen tiredly. He felt a better after getting a decent sleep but due to the events of last night he was still hung up about what happened. Mags sat in the kitchen, a solemn expression on her face. Noticing this Enrick looked at her and sat down next to her, she had comforted him it was only fair for him to do the same for her if she needed it.

"...You ok?..."

Mags stayed silent for a bit, slowly reaching for the mug in front of her and taking a sip before swallowing.

"...She can't move."

Enrick stared at her, another bad feeling stirring at the pit of his stomach.

"...Our mother, Enrick."

He noticed her eyes start to wet and opened his arms. She looked at him before releasing a breath and moving her chair slightly towards his before leaning into his arms, allowing herself to be hugged. He held her against him and stroked her hair gently. He was wondering whether to verbally reassure her but decided it might be better just to hold her. After a few moments of silence she spoke up again.

"...Have you found a cure of some kind?"

Enrick thought for a moment before speaking up.

"I have something that might work..."

It was nearly finished, but he didn't want to tell her it might take some more time to be certain. It was obvious they needed a cure now and he just wouldn't have the time to make sure it was fully completed.

Mags wiped her cheek and looked at him, her eyes searching his mask for answers.

"You have something that might work?"

"Yeah..."

She narrowed her eyebrows before sniffing and standing up. She placed her hand on his back.

"Let's go get it."

Enrick got up and went over to the cellar, climbing down and walking over to his desk as Mags waited by the entrance way. When she saw Enrick hesitantly looking for the vial she decided to go over and give him a hand. He didn't notice her until she was right beside him, causing him to jump.

"What are you doing in here?"

She looked at him as if he had said something stupid.

"I'm helping you look."

Enrick wasn't sure whether or not to shoo her out. She was only trying to help... but he hated people interfering with his personal work space.

"...Could you step back please?"

Mag's eyes then laid on something, catching her eye she picked it up to look at it closer. It appeared to show the anatomy of a sick human with some questionable notes written on the side.

"Enrick..."

Her tone came out shocked.

"Have you been experimenting on people?-..."

She examined the paper closer, an almost disgusted look appearing on her face. Enrick snatched the paper out of her hands as she was reading it.

"What are you doing? That's not helping at all."

"Enrick the paper was talking about the effects of different poison experiments on a sick person in different amounts and how much it took to take them out. You better not tell me you've been taking advantage of the sick to test out different ways to toy with ingredients because I'm pretty sure poison isn't used to cure a cold,-"