Chapter 6

The next morning came faster than I had hoped. I wasn't ready to take on another day of trying to dodge people, particularly Austin. I slid my feet out from underneath my comforter and headed to the bathroom to get my shower before Jules got up. Dad had probably left for work already since he had to drive close to forty-five minutes to get there. Yesterday, I barely got us there on time. Today, I made sure to get up thirty minutes earlier. I wanted to make sure we got there in plenty of time. 

I opened the bathroom door to find Jules walking out of her bedroom. She mumbled morning as she passed by me on the way to the bathroom. I went to my bedroom and finished getting ready for school. I put my hair up in a bun and applied some makeup. I wasn't good at putting makeup on, but I made a couple of friends who showed me how to use it when we moved away. They were utterly clueless about my hideous nickname, and I kept it that way. I took one last look in the mirror, and I could still see the old Rylee looking back at me. It didn't matter how I styled my hair or did my makeup. Every now and then, she would pop up to let me know she was still around. 

I grabbed my purse and bookbag, opened my door, and looked down the hall for any signs of Dad. If I heard one noise coming from his room, I was going to stay in my room until he left for work. I didn't want to see or talk to him this morning after last night. I stood there for a few minutes, straining to hear anything from his room. Five minutes later, I found the courage to open my door the rest of the way and tiptoed down the stairs, trying to hear if, by some chance, he was waiting to pounce on me the minute I entered the kitchen. I paused at the bottom of the stairs, listening for any signs of someone being in the kitchen. I turned to the left to look out the window toward the driveway, expecting to see his truck sitting there, but it was gone. My shoulders dropped as I blew out the breath of air I'd been holding in since I opened my bedroom door. I dropped my bookbag and continued to the kitchen, where a hint of garlic lingered from the dinner I didn't get to enjoy. I grabbed myself a bowl, keeping my eyes away from the backdoor. 

"Morning, Rylee," Jules said, walking into the kitchen. 

"Morning." I took a bite of cereal. 

"Are you still going to drop me off home today before meeting Sophie and Cole for coffee?" Jules asked, pouring herself a bowl of cereal. 

"Yeah. I hope you don't mind." 

"Actually, I might do something with my friends after school. My friend Evie said her mom could bring me home afterward. So we thought about going to Downtown Mall for a little bit after school." 

"Be home before Dad gets home tonight. I don't want to listen to him lecture me that I let you run around instead of doing your homework, even though we probably won't have any for a while." 

"I will be home before five, I promise." She crossed her heart. 

"Please be on time. Like I said, I don't want Dad yelling at me because you aren't here." I picked up my cereal bowl and took it over to the sink. 

"I will be here. Don't worry." 

I cleaned up my dishes while Jules ate her bowl of cereal, and then she brought me her bowl and spoon. We usually took turns cleaning the dishes after meals. I placed Jules's bowl in the drainer and glanced down at my smartwatch. I saw the time, tossed the towel over on the island, and headed for the front door. Jules was a few steps behind me as we made our way through the house. She knew that once I was headed for the front door, she better be right behind me, or I would leave her. 

We arrived at school fifteen minutes before the first bell of the day, which I didn't know if that was a good thing or not, to be honest. I pulled in next to Sophie's car, where she was still sitting in the driver's seat, looking down at something. Before Jules got out of the car, I made her promise that she would be home before Dad got home from work this evening. And again, she told me she would be home. The last thing I needed was for him to get mad at me again because I let Jules go out with friends instead of bringing her home. I found it strange that he didn't like her going out with friends.