Chapter 36

As we made our way through the crowded hall, all I could think about was facing Sophie. Sophie would want me to go to the school nurse to be checked out, knowing I didn't want anyone in the office to find out. I just needed a few days for the swelling to go down, and Jules could cover up my black eye with makeup. We were a few feet away from the corner that led to my locker when Cole grabbed my wrist, pulling me off to the side. I stood there, watching kids speed past us, heading to their next class. 

"Cole, I've got to go before I'm late for Math class," I said, motioning to the kids walking past us. 

"You've got a few minutes. You never told me why your dad did that to you." He lifted my hair away from my eye. 

"You know what happened." I studied the group of kids passing by, making sure they weren't paying attention to us. "Be careful." I fixed my hair back in place. 

"They could care less what we are talking about." Cole motioned to their backs because they were already ten feet away from us. "You still haven't answered my question about why he did that to you." 

"Oh, my god! What happened to your face?" Sophie asked, trying to move my hair out of the way. "Rylee, you need to get away from him," she said, tears welling in her eyes. "What set him off?" She wrapped her arm around mine, leading me to my locker. Cole turned and started walking on the right side of me. Finally, we got to my locker, and I hurried up and swapped out my books while I listened to them talk about my lip and eye. I was tired of hearing about my face and didn't want the wrong person to listen to them either. 

"Can you both stop?" I frowned, slamming my locker door shut. "Come on, Sophie, we've got to get to Math class. See you at lunch, Cole." I took Sophie's hand and pulled her away from my locker. Right before we walked into Math class, I flipped my hair around, making sure it was covering most of my face. I could relax in this class, but the rest of the day was going to be stressful with trying to dodge Austin. One look at my face, and he'd want answers about what happened. What was I supposed to tell him? My father hit me because he found out I was with Austin. It would devastate him, and I'd already hurt him enough. 

By the time we got to class, most everyone was already in their seats, taking out their books. I hurried to my seat and started getting my things out. While I was bent over, getting into my book bag, and Sophie was getting into hers, she whispered. "After class, I want you to tell me why he did that to you before we go to lunch." 

I hung my head a little lower, letting my shoulders drop as a sigh escaped my mouth because she wasn't going to let it drop until I told her why my dad hit me. The minute I told her it was because of Austin, she'd tell me I'd have to stop talking to him, but I didn't want to stop talking to him. It wasn't his fault, and I didn't blame him for what my father did to me. I had a terrible feeling if Austin found out he was the reason Dad hit me, he would feel responsible and want to stay away from me for my protection. Stupid should be my middle name for trying to chase him away; I had to try and fix that somehow. I sat in Math class, trying to pay attention while figuring out what I would say to Austin when I saw him at lunch in less than fifteen minutes. I just had to come up with a convincing lie that would satisfy his answers. 

Right on queue when the bell rang, Sophie got up from her desk and moved closer to mine. "You're going to tell me what happened, whether you like it or not." 

I sighed, putting my stuff in my bookbag. "I told you what happened, Sophie." I got up out of my chair, looking around to make sure no one was lingering behind listening to our conversation. I tossed my bookbag strap over my shoulder and walked toward the door. I didn't even look to see if Sophie was following behind me. 

"Rylee, you are going to tell me before we get to the cafeteria." She hollered after me. 

I spun around, almost knocking her down, not realizing she was so close to me. "Will you be quiet!" I glared at her, trying to press my lips together; I winced the second I put pressure on my bottom lip. 

"No one knows what I'm talking about. Tell me why, and I'll stop asking you about it." She raised an eyebrow, crossing her arms. 

"Fine." I huffed, looking around to make sure Austin was nowhere around us. "Dad came home pissed because someone told him they saw me with Austin." Sophie's mouth fell open.

She stood there, staring at me with her mouth wide open. I'd have to say her awkward silence was by far worse than her lecturing. At this point, I would rather have her tell me what I should be doing instead of standing there staring at me. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. 

"What?" I snapped my fingers in front of her face. 

"Are you....fucking....kidding...me?" Her eyes were still wide. "Why in the hell would he hit you because of Austin?" Her brow furrowed. 

I shrugged my shoulders, trying to figure that one out myself. Finally, I motioned her to keep walking so we weren't late getting to the cafeteria. "And before you ask, Austin doesn't know what happened either." I peeked over at her as we walked down the empty hallway. 

"Are you okay, Rylee?" Sophie asked. 

"Yes, why?" I lowered my hand away from my pounding head. 

"I think you should go get checked out." 

"No. I'll be fine. I just need to get something to eat." I opened my locker and swapped out my books before shutting it. 

"Rylee..."

"I said, No." I turned and started walking to the cafeteria, praying that Austin wouldn't see me right away. 

We walked around the corner, and my eyes met Cole's gaze while he stood in front of Austin, talking. I froze in sheer terror, wanting to turn around and run in the opposite direction before Austin saw me. But, as I took a step backward, Austin turned around and stared at me in horror when he saw my face. It was as if his eyes zoomed in on my lip. There was no escaping because he was in front of me within seconds, examining my lip. 

"When did this happen?" Anger raged in his eyes. 

I stood there staring into his dark brown eyes, wanting to tell him, but the words wouldn't come out. But, the second this morning would escape my lips, Austin would want to know what set my dad off, and he was the one person I couldn't lie to, the one person that made me feel safe. 

Author's Notes:

Poor Rylee. Do you think she should tell Austin the truth or keep it from him? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.