Chapter 63

The rest of the day had an eerie kind of quiet about it. I tried not to dwell on it too much because I was probably paranoid and didn't want to freak anybody else out. The minute the last bell of the day rang, and I was able to get away from school, I thought the feeling would subside, but it didn't. At least in school, I could hide my worry a little better; now Austin was bound to catch on that something was wrong. 

"Anyone up for some coffee?" Sophie asked, walking up to my locker. 

"Me. I need to go there anyway and see when I work this week." I closed my locker. 

"Sweet! Does anyone else want to go with us?" She beamed. 

"Go where?" Austin asked, wrapping his arms around my waist. 

"Coffee." I leaned back against his shoulder. 

"I'll drive." Austin let go of my waist and got his phone out of his pocket. He told me we should have everyone meet us there. Sophie texted Cole and told him to bring Tristan. We started walking toward the front of the school; the hallways were quiet compared to five minutes ago when everyone was rushing through the halls to get to the parking lot. I held Austin's hand as we walked through the halls; our footsteps echoed with each step, taking me back to the day my dad caught me by myself. I breathed a little easier when we turned the corner and saw the front doors to the school. Being in the school after that day was unbearable some days, even though I tried not to let it show on my face. If anything, I was pretty good at hiding my emotions from people. I had to be with a father like mine. 

By the time we got out to Austin's new truck, everyone was walking up to meet us. Sadie told her mom that we were heading to Coffee Oasis. "Where's Jules?" Sadie asked, looking around the parking lot. 

"She's with Evie. Evie's mom will drop her off at the house later. So, we don't have to wait on Jules." 

"What about Cole and Tristan?" Austin asked. 

"They're already there." Sophie held up her phone. 

"I guess we're ready to go." Austin unlocked his truck. He opened the passenger door for me and took my book bag so I could climb up into the seat. Sophie hopped up in the back seat behind Austin so it would be easier for us to talk on the way to Downtown Mall. The minute Austin started his truck, Logan and Sadie pulled up, letting Austin pull out so they could follow us. Halfway down the road, chills ran down my spine, and the hairs on my arms raised; I grabbed my phone without saying a word to either Austin or Sophie, and I texted Jules to make sure she was with Evie. A few minutes later, she sent me a picture of her and Evie sitting at one of the tables outside in the middle of Downtown Mall. I told her to have fun and I'd see her later when I got home. I put my phone in the cupholder, turned toward the passenger window, and exhaled the breath I'd been holding. 

"What are you going to get today, Rylee?" Sophie asked. 

I blinked my eyes, trying to clear my mind. " I don't know. What sounds good?" I turned a little in my seat. "I heard there's some new drinks." I smiled. 

"What will we do for coffee up at the cabin?" Sophie raised her eyebrows. "I will need some coffee." 

"I don't know if there's a coffee place close by or not. We're only going to be there Friday and Saturday night. Nothing else; when we come back, we will get coffee before we take you home." 

"Not the same, but I guess I have no choice." Her eyes narrowed as she went back to looking at her phone. I glanced at Austin, who was looking back at Sophie in the rearview mirror, shaking his head and smirking. 

"Girl likes her coffee." Austin laughed. 

"Hey, don't disrespect my coffee," Sophie said without taking her eyes off her phone. 

I glanced at Austin, who was peeking at me with a raised eyebrow; he mouthed, "What the hell?" We busted out laughing. Sophie didn't find humor in our laughing and started mumbling, making us laugh harder. I managed to get myself under control and looked back at Sophie, who was still on her phone. She asked if I was done laughing yet. I apologized for laughing. She peeked up from her phone and raised an eyebrow with a look that read she didn't believe me. I told her I was sorry for laughing at her love for coffee. She nodded her head and went back to her phone. I turned around to face the front, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw Austin wipe his mouth on his shoulder. This was something he did when he tried to keep from laughing. I peered over at him, my lips pressed together, trying to keep a straight face so he'd get the idea to stop.

"Did you text Cole that we were meeting them there?" I glanced back at Sophie. 

"Yeah. I did that before we left school." She peeked up at me, smiling. I knew she couldn't stay mad at me for long. She loved me too much. Besides, she knew Cole would've been laughing along with us had he been in the truck with us. Sometimes, she just made it super easy to pick on her. 

"You two ready?" Austin asked, turning the truck off. 

"Huh?" I mumbled, looking out the windshield, and saw we were a block from Downtown Mall. "Uh...Yeah." I unfastened my seatbelt, grabbed my phone from the cupholder, and opened my door. Sophie had scooted across the seat and was getting behind me on the sidewalk side. I closed the truck door and looked behind us, expecting to see Logan and Sadie, but they weren't there. "Where's Sadie and Logan?" I asked, looking across the street. 

"Logan drove past us when I was parking the truck." Austin pointed down the street. I turned around and saw Logan and Sadie walking toward us, holding hands. Austin took my hand. "Let's go get some coffee." He motioned Sophie to walk with us. 

We were halfway down the street, about to cross Garret Street, when suddenly, chills ran down my spine. I turned around, expecting to see someone walking behind us or hiding behind one of the trees. Something felt off, but I couldn't figure out what it was. The only thing I could come up with was my own paranoia was playing tricks on me. I didn't want to say anything and worry everyone over nothing. Dad was in jail, and Jules and I were in a safe environment, so why was I having these feelings of uneasiness all of a sudden? 

Austin opened the door for Sophie and me. I let Sophie walk in first while Sadie and I followed behind her. I was glad to be back at Coffee Oasis, but the memories of Dad harassing me here still dwelled in the back of my mind. I blinked in hopes of diverting the awful memories. Sophie was already standing in front of the counter, looking up at the menu, trying to decide what kind of coffee to order. Cole and Tristan sat in the big corner booth with their drinks, leaning toward one another, talking and laughing as if they were the only two in the room. Seeing them together like that helped ease my mind a little. 

"Rylee!" Madison ran around the counter and threw her arms around my neck. "Ashlynn told me you were coming back to work. I've missed you." She squeezed me, lowered her arms, and walked back behind the counter. "When do you work next?" 

"Probably not until next week. We're heading up to the cabin this weekend." 

"Oh, that sounds like fun. I hope you have a great time. What can I make you today?" She smiled. 

"Surprise me. Make me something sweet." 

"Ohh...I love it when people allow me to create a special drink for them. Something sweet coming up." 

I walked over to the booth, scooted next to Cole, and laid my head on his shoulder. He rested his head on top of mine. "Hey, Sunshine." He raised his head when Austin scooted next to me. Sophie sat next to Tristan, then Sadie and Logan. I sat there, looking around the table at the faces of my friends and boyfriend, and realized this was the life I'd always wanted. 

Author's Notes:

Do you think Rylee is being paranoid, or something could be wrong? 

If you like this chapter, please show it some love by giving it a vote and comment. Thanks! A.L.