Chapter 44

If you like this story, please consider giving it a vote! Thanks! A.L. 

Austin came and picked me up from Sadie's right on time. He greeted me with a hug and kiss. Sadie left with Logan in his truck, and I went with Austin in his car. I asked if we could run past my house real quick, so I could drop off my stuff before we went to have coffee with Sophie and Cole. Austin pulled into my driveway, shut off the car, and we went inside so that I could take my stuff to my room. Austin followed me upstairs, trying his hardest to distract me from putting my stuff up. He walked up behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me against him as he kissed my shoulder and neck.

"Rylee! I know he's here! What did I tell you!" My dad's voice bellowed throughout the house.

My eyes shot wide open as I scrambled to break free from Austin's grasp while trying to straighten my hair and clothes from any wrinkles. I glanced over at Austin, who was standing there looking at me like I'd just told him he disgusted me or something ridiculous along those lines. He tried to move closer to me, and my hand flew up, letting him know to stay where he was.

"How dare you let him in my house!" Dad yelled, charging across the hall from the top of the stairs. "I can't trust you!" His hand slammed against my good cheek, whipping my head to the side.

"Don't touch her!"Austin hollered.

"Did you say something?" Dad turned his focus to Austin. "You're just like your father. Trying to take what doesn't belong to you." He wreaked of alcohol as he stumbled, almost falling to the floor. As Dad was trying to get his balance, Austin grabbed my hand and shoved him, causing him to fall back against my desk. We raced down the stairs and out the front door to his car. Luckily, I had left my purse in the car along with my phone. Austin started the car, threw it in reverse, and sped down the road. I flipped the visor down, turning my head to the left, trying to see if there were any marks on my cheek from getting smacked. I'm sure there would be a bruise of some kind because my cheek felt like it was on fire.

"Are you okay?" Austin reached for my hand. "Rylee, you can't go back. He's going to kill you one day." His hand clenched the steering wheel.

"I have to go back. I can't leave Jules there alone with him."

"Rylee! No!" Austin's knuckles turned white from gripping the steering wheel. "We'll get Jules from her friend's house. I'm not letting you go back there."

"He's going to make me go back." I sighed.

"Rylee, I know you don't want anyone to know, but you've got to tell someone about what's happening at home. Then, maybe, they can do something, so you won't ever have to be hit again."

He told me to text Jules and tell her not to go home and that we'd pick her up later at her friend's house. I told her I'd explain everything when we picked her up. Then, between texting her, I hurried up and texted Cole, telling him we were on our way and that I needed to talk to him and Sophie. Austin said we didn't have to meet Cole and Sophie for coffee in case my dad showed up. I told him I couldn't live in fear of him forever. Austin parked the car, reached over, and carefully turned my head toward him. He examined my cheek, asking if anything hurt as he lightly touched around on it. He said he didn't think there would be any mark, but it might swell a little. I asked if it was really noticeable now. He told me it wasn't too bad at the moment and nothing else; he'd get me some ice at the coffee shop, and I could go to the back with it. He exited the car, walked around, and opened the door for me. I got out and started looking up and down the road for any signs of my dad. I had this eerie feeling he was going to show up any minute. I couldn't stop looking over my shoulder at every little sound, vehicles that passed us. I had to make sure he wasn't in them, even though I knew he wasn't.

Sophie texted me that they had a table when we were a few minutes away from Coffee Oasis. Ashlynn was helping up front when we walked in, and I quickly brought my hair around the front, trying to cover most of my cheek. I knew it was useless to do this, but I figured it would buy me some time until I grabbed the ice and headed to the back with it. Sophie and Cole were talking and sipping their drinks in the back corner booth. I envied their lives a lot of the time. They weren't scared to go home or had to look over their shoulder when they went out, fearing their parent would show up, causing a scene.

I scooted into the big corner booth next to Sophie while Austin went up and ordered me something to eat and drink. I tried telling him I wasn't hungry, but he said I needed to eat.

"Rylee, are you okay?" Sophie asked, close to my ear.

"Dad showed up at the house while we were there, dropping off my stuff." I lowered my head.

"Oh, my god! Are you okay? Seriously...Are you okay?" She lowered her head, trying to look me in the eye. "I can tell something happened by the way you're acting. You need to get away from him, Rylee. He's going to really hurt you one day."

I peeked over at her, narrowing my eyes.

She sighed. "I know he's hurt you. One day, he's going to put you in the hospital or, worse, kill you. I couldn't bear the thought of losing you, Rylee. I think Cole would agree with me." She held her hand in front of Cole while he nodded in agreement. We love you too much."

"Rylee!" My dad yelled from the entrance door. "I know you're in here."

My eyes widened as my heart started pounding in my chest. Sophie grabbed me, not letting me get out of the booth.

"Sir, can I help you?" Ashlynn grabbed a towel, wiping her hands. She laid the towel on the counter and told the girls and customers to step on the other side of the register, trying to distance them from him.

"Yeah, I want my daughter, Rylee!"

"Sir, I'm going to ask you to leave, or I'm going to call the police." She walked to the end of the counter, away from the customers.

"I'm not leaving here without her!" He stumbled toward the end of the counter where Ashlynn was standing. He turned his head and saw me sitting in the booth. "There you are!"

"Sir! I'm going to ask you one more time; then I will call the Police. They will be here in less than five minutes." She stepped out from around the counter.

"Who the hell are you?" He stumbled back over toward her.

"I'm the manager." She leaned a little closer. "I can smell the alcohol. I don't think you want me to call the Police, do you?"

He stood there for a few minutes, glaring at her, then shifted his anger-filled hazel eyes over at me. He ran a hand through his hair, tried straightening his brick-red button-down shirt, then turned and stumbled to the entrance door.

Austin managed to sit down beside Cole when Dad came barging up to the counter. He got up and scooted next to me, wrapping his arms around me. Ashlynn came over to the table and asked if I was okay, too. She told me she wanted to talk to me in the back in a little bit once the rush was over.