Chapter 46

We drove around for about thirty minutes to make sure Dad wouldn't come flying around a corner or meet us head-on as we turned onto a street. Part of me knew this was a bad idea, but the other part knew going back was an even worse idea. I asked Austin what he would tell his parents when we arrived at his house to get his clothes. He told me not to worry about it because I had enough on my mind at the moment. He told me he would have Logan meet us real quick so he could take me to get my purse while he got his clothes from his house. He said I'd be safer in Logan's truck because my dad didn't know Logan's truck, and he'd meet up with me later. He must have seen the worry in my eyes because he took my hand and promised he'd come for us later.

He lifted my hand to his mouth. "I promise I'm not leaving you, Rylee." He kissed the back of my hand. Then, he picked up his phone, swiped it on, and dialed Logan's number. Logan answered his phone on the third ring. Austin told him what happened and asked if he could meet us real quick so he could go to his house to get some clothes and take me back to Coffee Oasis to get my purse. Austin thanked him and said we'd see him in about ten minutes. 

"I'm going to drop you and Jules off at Logan's house, then Logan and Sadie will take you to get your purse while I get some clothes from my house."  He turned right, heading back toward our neighborhood. 

"What if Dad sees us?" I asked, looking out the window. 

"Rylee, let's hope he's passed out in your living room by now." 

I didn't know how Austin could be so calm and why he was sticking by me through all this. But, to be honest, this isn't the way I'd imagined falling in love would be. This was nothing like how they portrayed it in the movies. In fact, this was probably the complete opposite. I could be the poster child for how not to fall in love with a warning at the bottom of it. I got so lost in my thoughts that I didn't realize where we were until he shut the car off. 

Austin took my hand. "It will be okay. I will see you later. I promise." He pulled me closer and kissed me. He let go of my hand and opened his door. "Jules, leave your bags in the car." 

"What about our clothes?" She looked confused over at our bags sitting beside her in the backseat. 

"Jules, I'm not leaving either of you. I promised your sister. You can trust me." He said, leaning down, his arms draped over the driver's side door and roof. "Logan's waiting." He motioned his head to the right. 

Jules grabbed her book bag, got out of the backseat, and closed the door behind her. She walked around the back of the car to the passenger side. "Where are we going?" She asked, looking at Logan's big dark blue truck parked in the driveway. 

"Logan's taking us to Coffee Oasis so that I can get my phone." My eyes widened when I realized I had forgotten what I had done with the money Ashlynn had given me. I flung Austin's car door open and started searching through the stuff, my hands shaking as I searched. 

Austin walked back to the car, grabbed me by the waist, and pulled me out. "Rylee, what are you looking for?" He placed his hands on the sides of my face, trying to calm me down. 

"I lost the money that Ashlynn gave me. I don't know what I did with it." Tears started to well up. 

"Calm down; it's okay." He lowered his hands, turned, and grabbed my duffle bag. "It's right here, in the front pocket. I put it there when you were busy getting your stuff together." He zipped the pocked back up. 

"Thank you." I threw my arms around his neck, kissing his cheek. "Is Logan ready to leave?" I asked, watching Logan climb into his truck. 

"Yeah. Sadie wanted to ride along. She might have a place we can stay at for a while. She's going to tell us about it later. But first, we have to get your purse and phone back. Text me the minute you've got your phone and leaving Coffee Oasis. Promise me." He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me closer and kissing the corner of my forehead. You need to get going, and I've got to get my clothes. I'll see you in a little bit." He leaned down, kissed me, turned, got in his car, and drove down the road. Jules and I got in the backseat of Logan's truck. I sat behind Logan, so Sadie could turn around and talk to me. Honestly, I didn't feel like talking, though. 

Logan parked a couple of blocks from Downtown Mall; he got out of the truck and turned his head slowly, making sure no one was watching or following us. Austin was probably right, and Dad was at home, passed out from his drinking earlier. As we walked down the sidewalk, I couldn't help but look over my shoulder; I didn't feel safe. I felt like Dad would jump out at us at any minute and grab Jules and me. I didn't want to walk in the front door of Coffee Oasis, but I didn't know if the back door was still partly open. So I sent Sadie in there, asking Ashlynn for my purse and phone. Standing close to Logan, I kept my head down, hoping no one would recognize me. 

Ashlynn came out a few minutes later, holding my purse. "Oh, my god, Rylee." She wrapped her arms around me. "I was terrified when the police let him leave. I was so sure he would find you and hurt you." She looked over at Logan, confused. "Where's Austin?" She stepped back, pausing for a moment. 

"He's at his house getting clothes; then we're leaving. Which reminds me, I have to text him." I opened up my purse and grabbed my phone. I texted him quickly, letting him know that I had my stuff and we would be leaving soon. "We should get going. Thanks for everything, Ashlynn. Hold my job for me?" 

"Of course." She hugged me. "Don't come back until it's safe. I mean it, Rylee. I know what I'm talking about, so please listen to me." She tightened her hug, then took me by the arms. "Remember, don't come back unless it's safe. You need to go before someone sees you." 

"Thank you." I turned and walked back to Logan's truck. I would be lying if I said I wasn't starting to get worried because I hadn't heard back from Austin, and we were almost to Logan's truck. We were a few feet from Logan's truck when my phone rang. I jumped, nearly dropping my phone, trying to answer it. "Hello?" 

"Where the hell are you, Rylee? You can't run from me!" Dad screamed into the phone. 

My eyes widened; Logan grabbed the phone from my hand and clicked end to end the call. He wrapped his arm around me. "Austin texted me and said to meet him at my house. We need to go." 

Author's Notes:

Rylee's dad is relentless. Do you think he's going to find her? 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.