Chapter 39

Madison and I closed up Coffee Oasis while Austin sat in the back corner booth out of the way. Ashlynn left forty-five minutes earlier, making sure we were going to be okay to close by ourselves. I caught Madison a few times staring at my lip but would look away when my gaze saw hers. Of course, I knew what she was thinking without saying anything because she would glare at Austin each time. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and told her he didn't do anything to me. She looked at me surprised like she had no idea what I was talking about. I motioned to my lip and eye and let her know that I noticed she looked at it a few times throughout the shift. She stopped wiping down the counter, lowered her head for a second, then peeked up at me and apologized for staring at it earlier. 

"The swelling is the only thing that gives them away," She whispered. "You did a great job on your makeup." She smiled, continuing to wipe down, working her way down the opposite end, away from where Austin was sitting. 

"Thanks, only I didn't do my makeup. My sister did it for me." I grabbed another wet towel and started wiping down the tables and chairs. 

"She did a great job." Madison smiled. 

"Rylee! You get out here right now!" 

I jumped, knocking over a chair. My eyes locked in on Austin sitting in the back booth away from the front door. He started to move out of the booth; I shook my head no. My heartbeat pounding in my ears, I stood the chair up and pushed it up to the table. 

"Rylee!" 

I turned around, and there at the front door stood my father, glaring in at me. My first instinct was to go running toward the back and out the back door. But I knew that would only infuriate him more, making it worse for me later when he did come home. I motioned Madison to go back toward the counter as I walked to the door and opened it partway. "Yes, Dad?" My voice cracked. 

"What in the hell are you doing here? Why aren't you at home watching your sister?" His eyes were full of rage. 

"I'm working. I'll be home in about fifteen minutes. We have a few things to finish before we can leave." I lowered my head, looking down at my feet, my hands grasping the door. 

"Working? What you think I can't provide for you and your sister? Answer me!" He yelled, slamming his hand against the doorframe. 

"I'm working, so I'm not always having to ask you for money for extra things I want." I glanced up at him, tightening my grip around the door. He stood there, staring at me, not saying a word. I started to loosen my grip around the edge of the door. 

"Go home as soon as you're done. I won't be home for the next couple of days. I've got to go out of town for work." He turned and walked away down the sidewalk. I hurried up and locked the door behind him. I pressed my head against the door, staring down at the floor. 

"Rylee..." I felt Austin's hand on my back. "Are you okay?" 

"Yeah." I stood up, dabbing the tears away. "I'm just going to go to the back for a minute." I eased past him. I didn't want to break down in front of Austin and Madison. I grabbed a paper towel and dabbed the corner of my eyes, fighting to hold back the tears. I think part of it was because I was scared of him and scared that he was going to see Austin. 

"Rylee, are you sure you're okay?" Madison asked, walking into the kitchen area. 

"I'm sorry about that," I said, dabbing my eyes again. I tossed the paper towel in the trash. 

"Don't be sorry. Rylee, you need to get away from him, though. He's going to end up really hurting you one day. I mean, really hurt you. On top of worrying about your home life, you've got Taylor making your school life miserable. You know you can talk to me about anything." She walked around and wrapped her arms around me. "Come on, let's finish up so we can get out of here." She let go of me and walked back up front. I took a deep breath and walked back up front. The second my foot hit the front of the cafe, Austin was right there, taking me in his arms. 

"I've got to go get the food. Are you going to be okay? I'll be back in a few minutes." He pulled me closer to him. 

"Yes, I'll be fine." I rested my head on his shoulder. 

"Okay. I'll be back." He kissed me on the forehead. I figured it was because he didn't want to hurt my lip. 

"Do you want me to get you anything, Madison?" He asked, heading toward the door.

"No, thanks." She smiled. 

"Okay, I'll be back in about ten-fifteen minutes. Lock the door." He opened the door, looking in the direction my father left. I assumed it was to make sure he wasn't close by watching. He turned, winked, and started walking in the opposite direction toward the restaurants. Madison quickly walked over and locked the door back up while I began to wipe down the tables again. Once the door was locked, Madison ran to the back for a second. I walked over to the middle of the coffee shop, staring at the door, twisting the towel in my hands. I couldn't take my eyes off the door, like I was expecting my father to start beating on the door, demanding that I let him inside. 

"Rylee, your dad isn't going to come back." Madison walked up beside me. "We're almost done. We'll wait inside until Austin comes back." She laid her hand on my forearm. "Come on, Rylee." 

"Okay." I started to turn, keeping my eyes on the door. I wanted to stay close to the door to make sure my dad wasn't lurking somewhere watching. On the other hand, I didn't want him to see Austin walking up to the door. I knew I couldn't keep Austin a secret forever, but I didn't want to lose him either. 

Author's Notes:

Poor Rylee! Her father just showed up like that. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.