Chapter 57

The weekend went by how I'd always dreamed, with no one screaming or beating me. I wasn't scared to go to sleep. I fell asleep, feeling safe, knowing no one would come flying into my room in the middle of the night. Breakfast was almost ready on both mornings when I strolled into the kitchen. I didn't know how to act because I was so used to getting up early and having to make breakfast for Jules and me on the weekends. Jennifer had asked us what we liked. I told her French toast, and Jules told her pancakes. So, Saturday was French toast, and Sunday was pancakes. We all sat around the table, eating breakfast, talking, and laughing. At one point, I'd sat back and looked around the table. I watched how Jennifer and Brent swapped loving glances at one another in between bites. I loved how Sadie and Jules acted like sisters, picking on one another in between bites of their pancakes. I was afraid to look away, fearing it would all disappear and I'd be back in my old house, looking over my shoulder for a flying hand.  

My anxiety soared the minute we arrived at school Monday morning. It was the one place I feared he'd get us, or I should say me. He never laid a hand on Jules; it was always me. I didn't know if it was because I looked like Mom or what. He acted like he was mad at her for leaving him alone to raise us girls. 

Sadie parked close to the back of the parking lot, where Austin and his friends were gathered around his new truck. I got out and scanned the parking lot for any signs of Dad's truck or, by some chance, my car. I wouldn't put it past him to drive my car here. After scanning the parking lot for a few minutes, I strolled toward Austin and his friends. Sadie followed me because Logan was over there, too. 

"Hey, babe." Austin greeted me with a kiss. "I was just showing off my new truck to some of the guys that hadn't seen it yet." 

"Hmm, Mmm." My eyes kept shifting in every direction except at Austin. 

"Rylee, you okay?" Austin asked, trying to see what I was looking at. 

"Yeah..." I looked around a couple more times. "Sorry." I forced my eyes to stay focused on Austin for longer than a second. I didn't have to tell him who I was looking for; he knew by the way he pulled me closer to him. I still scanned the parking lot for any signs of my father, even though I'd already looked twenty times. 

"He's not here," Austin whispered close to my ear. He squeezed me lightly, then turned, keeping his right arm around my waist. "Should we tell her?" Austin glanced over at Sadie and Logan, smiling. 

"Tell me what?" As I traded curious glances between the three of them. I didn't like surprises, which Austin would learn soon enough. I leaned back, gazing up at Austin. "Are you going to tell me?" 

"I'll let Sadie." He smiled over at her. 

"Someone tell me already!" I glared at all three of them. 

"It's not definite, but Mom and Dad are leaning towards letting the four of us go to the cabin next weekend. Like I said, it's not definite. They could push it back another week depending on if everything remains quiet." Sadie twisted her mouth. 

"You know what that means," Austin whispered next to my ear. He kissed the side of my forehead. He took me by the hand and started walking toward the school. 

"Rylee! Wait up!" 

I turned around and saw Sophie running to catch up. "Austin, wait." I tugged on his hand to stop. "I haven't spent much time with Sophie or Cole lately. Sadie..." I turned toward her and Logan. 

"Sure." She answered before I even got my question out. "Mom and Dad won't mind if they come over, but I'll ask to make sure." She smiled, grabbing her phone.

"Hey, Sophie." I let go of Austin's hand and wrapped my arms around her. "Sorry I haven't talked to you much." I dropped my arms and lowered my head in shame. I felt awful for being a horrible friend. Sometimes, I wondered what I ever did to deserve such wonderful friends like Sophie and Cole. 

"Don't worry about it. Oh, my god, Rylee. You've had more than enough to deal with. Cole and I should be the ones saying sorry, not you. He said he'd see you later in English. We should get moving to class, too." She smiled, flipping her curly blonde hair over her shoulder. We all started walking toward the school, talking about maybe getting coffee after school. I wanted to see if Ashlynn was back or not. I missed her and wanted to tell her I was doing all right. I still had a long way to go, but I was doing better than I was. 

Once we were in the school, Austin gave me a quick kiss, then took off with Logan down the hall to the right with Sadie, while Sophie and I took off in the opposite direction toward our lockers. As we weaved through the crowded hallway, I looked for Jules and her friends even though I knew she wasn't on this side of the school. Jules and her friends were on what was known as "Freshie Hall" with the rest of the first-year students. I had heard about it in middle school, and Sophie and Cole told me about it during their first year of high school. 

Thankfully, Biology was uneventful and quiet for the most part. Mr. Crawford spent most of the class reviewing what would be on the test in a few days. I was rather grateful, seeing I missed most of the last week of school. I'm sure it was all over school why I wasn't here, and it didn't bother me anymore. I almost felt relieved because I didn't have to avoid my teachers anymore, worried they'd ask me about my bruises. 

Cole was leaning against the wall by my locker, watching kids pass by. "Hey, Sunshine." He scooped me up in his arms and hugged me. "Sorry, I didn't see you this morning." He lowered me back down. 

"Sorry, I haven't been able to see you and Sophie much. I think Sadie is checking with her mom about the two of you coming over after we get coffee." I opened my locker door, swapping out my books. 

"Coffee? I'm in." He smiled, leaning against the wall next to my locker. Do you care if I bring someone with me?" He smiled, his cheeks flushing. 

"Oh...What's his name?" I smiled, closing my locker door. 

"His name is Tristian. He just moved here not too long ago. He's super hot." Cole beamed. 

"Hot, huh?" I giggled, enjoying listening to him talk about this new guy. "I take it he's in one of your classes?" 

"Huh? Yeah. So, would you care if I invited him to coffee with us? He and I have been hanging out together after school." 

"No, I don't care. I'm sure everyone else won't mind, either. I'm happy for you, Cole. He better not hurt you. That's all I'm going to say." I pressed my lips together to let Cole know I meant business. 

"I'll text him in a little bit and ask. Thanks, Rylee." He smiled, grabbing my hand as we weaved through the crowded hall toward English class. As we walked toward English, I noticed I didn't feel on edge like I used to; I wasn't calm, but I wasn't so uptight either. "Ouch, Rylee." Cole broke free from my grasp, rubbing his hand. 

"He's here. I can feel it." I looked around as the kids rushed past us on their way to their next class. I was trying to watch them carefully as they passed by, making sure he wasn't mixed in with them. "I know he's here. I just know it." 

"Did you see him?" Cole wrapped his arm around me, trying to protect me. "Are you positive he's here? I don't see him anywhere?" Cole perused the hall in every direction while gripping me tightly. He was taller than me, so he could look over the girls' heads better than I could. "I don't see him, Rylee. Are you sure he's here?" 

"He's near; I can feel it." I clung to Cole, not wanting to leave his side. 

Author's Notes:

Do you think he's really close by, or is Rylee just scared that he could be? 

If you like that chapter, please show it some love by giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L