Chapter 23

When I saw Austin heading toward Downtown Mall on a Friday night, my heart started to beat wildly in fear of running into Taylor and her friends. I had a horrible feeling that we'd run into Taylor and her friends or, even worse, Blake would be with her. I couldn't shake this awful feeling, and I wasn't going to let it ruin my evening with Austin. I don't know why I was so worried about Taylor and Blake because Austin would never let anything happen to me. He's proven time and time again that he would step in and defend me. 

"You okay, Rylee? I can take you home if you aren't up to going out." Austin asked, parking the car. 

I blinked my eyes. "I'm sorry if I was quiet. No, I don't want to go home." I reached down and grabbed my purse. 

"Good. I didn't really want to take you home." He smiled, getting out of the car. 

Right as I opened the door, Austin held out his hand. "Thanks." 

Austin closed the door behind me, locking his car. "Do you want to get something to eat right away, or do you want to walk around for a little bit?" 

"Do you care if we walk around for a little bit?" 

"No." He smiled, interlocking his fingers with mine. 

The closer we got to Downtown Mall, the more crowded the sidewalks became, with everyone heading in the same direction, not giving much room to walk. Austin pulled me back a little, letting the bigger groups of people pass by so we didn't get rushed along with them. I was glad he kept us away from the crowds of people rushing past. It meant more time with him. 

"What do you want to do first?" Austin asked, leading me through the entrance to Downtown Mall. "I know..." He smiled, not saying another word about where he was leading me. And honestly, I didn't really care where he took me as long as he stayed with me. He could've taken me to the ends of the earth, and it wouldn't have bothered me in the least because he'd been with me. "I know you've been dodging this place for a while." He motioned to Coffee Oasis. 

"Yeah...I have..." My voice trailed off as Taylor popped into my thoughts. And Austin was right; I had been dodging the best coffee place in town. I had good reason, though. 

"I know it's late, but I thought you'd like a latte." He opened the door for me. 

"Thanks." I walked in, pausing right inside, waiting for Austin to step inside. 

"You've got to be kidding me." 

I stood there staring at Austin when I heard her voice behind us. My first instinct was to bull rush Austin, knocking him to the ground to get out the door and away from Taylor. Yes, that would be the immature reaction, and I was perfectly fine with it. I didn't have to be mature all the time. Immaturity was probably good for the soul from time to time. Well, that's what I was trying to tell myself. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore and moved to get around Austin, who instantly knew what I was thinking and grabbed my hand to keep me from running out the door. 

"Don't let her intimidate you," He said close to my ear. Annoyed by that statement was an overstatement. They had no idea what I went through on a daily basis, being tormented by her. I felt like I was in middle school all over again, and I fought so hard not to be that girl anymore. 

Before I could stop myself, the words flew out of my mouth. "I'm tired of people telling me not to let her intimidate me. You aren't me. You have no idea what it's like to be in my shoes. It's a constant, never-ending nightmare, so please don't." I looked up into his brown eyes. 

"You're right; I don't know what it's like. But I do know if you keep running away from her, she will only keep at it, and it will only get worse as time goes on. We aren't at school where you're going to get in trouble. Stand up for yourself, Rylee." He gently squeezed my hand. "It's time. I'm right here beside you."