Chapter 8

I was able to catch Jules after school before leaving with her friend Evie and reminded her to be home before Dad because I didn't want to get in trouble for letting her go out with her friends. She promised me she would be home no later than five-thirty, knowing that Dad would be pulling into the driveway at six sharp. I told her not to be late. Evie promised that her Mom would have Jules home in time. Before I could say another word, Jules and Evie had turned and started walking toward a white SUV with a lady sitting in the driver's seat, looking down at her phone. The lady must have been her Mom because she had the same beautiful, long, springy curls as Evie. 

"Who's Jules with?" Sophie asked, walking up. 

"That's her new friend, Evie Collins. The one she's hanging out with today at Downtown Mall. She promised her Mom would have Jules home on time." I peeked over at her. 

"Well, let's hope she keeps her promise." 

"Are we ready to leave?" Cole asked, walking up behind us. 

"Coffee!" Sophie screamed. 

I jumped, almost dropping my purse and bookbag off my shoulder. "Really?" I raised my eyebrows. 

"Sorry." She giggled, turning to walk over to our cars. 

"Who's driving?" Cole asked. 

"I was going to drive separate to get home in enough time before Dad got home." I unlocked my car, tossing my bookbag in the backseat. 

"That's fine. I'll ride with you, Cole." Sophie unlocked her car, put her bookbag in the car, then locked it back up. 

"Of course you will." He smirked. 

"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked, walking around her car and over to the passenger side door of Cole's vehicle. 

"Nothing. Nothing." He laughed, climbing into his car. 

I started my car and motioned for Cole to take the lead, and I would follow behind them. I really wanted to ride along with them in the same car, but I didn't want to risk the chance of being late home and Dad getting there before me. The mere thought made me cringe. So I blinked my eyes, shook my head, and returned my focus to the road so that I wouldn't lose Cole and Sophie on the way to the coffee place. But then, again, even though I've been gone for three years, I still remember how to get around Charlottesville. I saw that we were getting close to Downtown Mall, but I didn't want to call either one of them on their phones and ask them why we were headed there. Almost ten minutes later, I pulled up behind them on a side street and turned off my car. Sophie was out of Cole's car and walking over to mine before I even got the driver's side door opened. 

"Hurry!" Sophie yelled. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, locking my car. 

"Downtown Mall for coffee," Cole said, motioning for us to catch up to him. We caught up with him at the end of the block when the light turned red. I had to ask what was so great about this coffee place. Cole and Sophie both said that it was literally the best coffee around, and everyone went there after school for coffee. When they said that, I froze there in the middle of the street, staring at them: everyone, meaning Taylor and her group of friends. 

Cole had to walk to the middle of the street, grab my hand, and pull me to the curb. "Rylee, what's wrong?" 

"Taylor will be there, won't she?" I forced the words out of my mouth. 

"Probably; why? Ohh..." His eyes widened when he realized why. 

"We forgot she goes there, Rylee," Sophie said. "We can just forget it and head back to the vehicles." 

"No, we'll go. Taylor's not going to keep me from getting my iced latte." So I kept walking toward the entrance to Downtown Mall. My heart was pounding with every step I took closer to the entrance as my feet wanted to retreat back to the safety of my car. I kept on walking, reminding myself that I wasn't nerdy little Rylee Evans anymore. 

"Rylee! Coffee Oasis is over here." Sophie yelled. 

I stopped and realized that I was practically in the middle of Downtown Mall by the iron tables between a group of trees. I turned around; Cole and Sophie were about ten feet behind me, standing on the sidewalk, pointing to a big sign above them that read Coffee Oasis. I could feel the heat of my blushing cheeks; I just hoped no one could see them through my makeup. 

"Glad you decided to join us." Cole laughed, opening the door for us. Sophie walked in first, and I followed close behind her. The tantalizing aroma of coffee wafted around and tickled my nose. Cole and Sophie were right about it being the place where many of the kids came after school, and sure enough, over at the far big corner table sat Taylor and her group of friends. Sophie kept whispering in my ear not to pay attention to them while we made our way to the counter. Finally, we made it up to the counter, ordered our drinks, and were inches away from the door. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Taylor asked, walking up behind us. "They shouldn't allow just anyone to come in here." 

Before I could stop myself, the words flew out of my mouth. "Well, if that were true, then a snobby ass bitch like yourself wouldn't be allowed here either." I turned around to face her. 

"What did you say to me?" 

"I think you heard me. If not, I'd be happy to draw you a picture in crayon." 

I couldn't see Cole and Sophie's faces, but I could tell by their coughing fits that they both choked on their coffees. Taylor's eyes narrowed as they shifted between us as Sophie and Cole coughed, trying to hold in their laughter. 

"How dare you talk to me that way! You better watch yourself!" She stepped in closer to me. "You have no idea who you're messing with, Rylee." She glared at me. 

"Taylor, that's enough." A male voice said from behind us at the door. 

"You better watch your back." She turned to go back to the corner table. 

I turned around to find Austin standing right behind us with a scowl as he watched Taylor laugh with her friends at the table. While she was still over with her friends, I took that as my chance to leave before she made her way back toward us. I motioned Cole and Sophie toward the door; I let them go out first and followed behind them in case Taylor tried to come over and say something else on our way out. Austin grabbed my arm right as I was about to walk through the door; he turned toward Taylor and her friends. "Sorry about that." He whispered, then quickly let go of my arm. 

I glanced over my shoulder, nodded, and quickly left before Taylor saw us talking. 

Author's Notes:

Wow...I didn't see that coming from Rylee! Looks like Taylor is going to be trouble for her. 

If you like this chapter, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L.