Chapter 62

If you like the story, please show it some love by giving it a vote. Thanks! A.L. 

Monday morning came with a newfound sense of peace, which was unusual because no one liked Mondays. I didn't have to fear them anymore. No more waking up wondering if I would get yelled at or smacked. I could start my day off right and not worry about hiding bruises or fat lips. It was nice not having to worry about coming up with new lies all the time. No more asking Jules to help cover up the bruises on my face. I could probably start wearing less makeup if I wanted. I wanted to stay in this new life but knew deep down this was only temporary, and we could end up back home with Dad if the judge saw fit. 

I flipped the comforter off, slid my feet out, walked over to my dresser to get my clothes out, and showered before Jennifer called us for breakfast. I stood in the hallway, inhaling the aroma of bacon. It brought back memories from when I was younger when things were better and Mom was still alive. I wasn't mad at her for leaving us, and I knew she'd be heartbroken and pissed at Dad for how he's treated us since she's been gone. We all missed Mom, but that didn't give him the right to take his anger and pain out on me. I closed my eyes for a second and enjoyed the moment for a little longer.

                                                                                     *****

"Good morning, Rylee." Jennifer handed me a plate of scrambled eggs, bacon, and toast. "I hope scrambled eggs are okay?" She asked. 

"Huh..." I glanced up from my plate. 

"I can make your eggs another way." She glanced down at my plate. 

"Oh, no. These are perfect." I smiled. "I was just thinking about Mom." 

Jennifer's smile disappeared, and worry filled its place. "Oh, Rylee, I'm sorry. I didn't know." She started rambling. My eyes widened at her reaction to my comment. I didn't mean to upset her. It wasn't a bad memory; it was a rather pleasant one that I treasured and always wanted to keep fresh in my mind. "Scrambled eggs are great. I didn't mean to upset you. They make me think of Mom. Please don't apologize." I smiled. 

The worry seemed to fade, but the concern was still in her eyes, and nothing I said would change it. I felt the best thing to do was to drop the subject and enjoy my breakfast. I hopped up on the stool next to Sadie, who turned and hugged me. Jules walked in and asked if everything was all right when she saw Sadie hugging me. I assured her everything was great and there was nothing to worry about. Jules looked at me for a split second, accepted what I told her, and took the stool on the other side of Sadie. Jennifer set the plate of scrambled eggs down in front of Jules, then leaned against the sink, keeping her eyes on Jules. I think she was afraid if she looked away for even a minute, she'd miss Jules's reaction to breakfast. Jules was a little better than I was at keeping her feelings hidden. 

                                                                                          *****

We arrived at school fifteen minutes before the first bell. Austin was with Logan and a few of their friends, standing next to his new truck. Sadie was able to park one row over from them. By the time I got out of the car and grabbed my bag from the backseat, Austin and Logan were a couple of feet away from the vehicle. Logan walked around the front of the car and wrapped his arms around Sadie. 

"Hey, beautiful. I was wondering when you were going to get here." He brushed my hair away from my face, leaned down, and kissed me. "I can't wait for the weekend." He kissed my forehead. I gazed into his gorgeous brown eyes and knew he'd always try to protect me. 

"I'm so excited for this weekend!" Sophie screamed, walking up. "Even though I'll be the only one without a date." She twisted her mouth. 

I wrapped my arm around hers and told her she had me. Austin stood there staring at me with big, sad eyes like I'd abandoned him on the side of the road or something. Sophie laughed and told him I was hers now. I looked at him, laughed, and shrugged my shoulders; just as Austin was about to say something, Cole and Tristan joined us a few feet in front of the school. I glanced over and noticed them holding hands, and I couldn't have been happier for one of my best friends. I really hoped this guy didn't break his heart like the last one. A lot of people thought I deserved happiness, but in my opinion, it was Cole who deserved it more than anyone. I was rooting for this relationship to work out. 

"This weekend is going to be amazing!" Cole smiled at Tristan. 

"Thanks for inviting me," Tristan smiled back at Cole, then looked at Sadie and me. 

"You're welcome. It's going to be so much fun." I let go of Sadie's arm; Austin grasped my hand, spun me around, and kissed me. "What was that for?" I giggled. 

"You're mine." He smiled. He pulled me closer to him as we entered the school. Austin said he'd see me later and took off toward his locker with Logan and Sadie. Cole and Tristan headed in the same direction as Austin toward their lockers while Sophie and I headed down the hall to ours. We had to hurry so we weren't late for Biology. We made it to class on time even though we ran a few minutes late, getting inside the school. Mr. Crawford rushed in a few minutes after us, apologizing for being late to class. We both sighed in relief that he was running late himself. Since Dad's been in jail, I've been able to concentrate a little better in my classes, but I still occasionally look toward the door or over my shoulder. I sat there for a few minutes, gazing around the classroom, watching everyone open their books and waiting for Mr. Crawford to start writing stuff on the board. Instead, he was too busy putting his things on his desk and drinking coffee. This continued for the next five minutes, which gave me more time to think about everything that had happened in my life over the past week. I was trying to keep the worry off my face, but something kept nagging at my soul that this thing with my father wasn't over. 

                                                                                    *****

"Rylee, is there something you want to talk about?" Sophie asked when the bell rang at the end of the first class. 

"No, why?" I kept my head down as I grabbed my book off my desk and stood up. 

"Just wondering. You know you can talk to me about anything." Sophie leaned down, trying to look me in the eye. 

"I'm fine...Really." I raised my head with a fake smile. "We need to go before we're late." I turned and started walking out of the classroom before she could say something else. 

Cole was waiting for me by my locker, as usual. He wasn't paying attention to anything around him while looking down at his phone, smiling as his fingers tapped the screen. The smile gave away who he was texting, and it was so nice to see him so happy for a change. Sophie leaned toward me and said what I was thinking: she hoped this relationship would work out for him. I shook my head in agreement. Cole looked up right as we reached our lockers. "Hey, Sunshine." He smiled, putting his phone in his pocket. 

"Tristan?" I smiled. 

"Yeah..." He blushed. 

"I really hope it works out for you two." I opened my locker, switching out my books. 

"Thanks for letting me bring him this weekend." 

"Cole, you're one of my best friends; I love you. If he makes you happy, then I'm happy for you. The place is beautiful. It sits right on the lake. Don't worry; Brent and Jennifer had all the food we left behind thrown out a few days after we got back into town." 

"I need to get to class; I'll see you back here for Math." Sophie took off down the hall. 

"We need to get to English too." Cole draped his arm over my shoulders. "I feel bad Sophie doesn't have a date to bring with her this weekend." He sighed. 

"Me too." I glanced over my shoulder.