Chapter 66

I stared at the house that had brought me nothing but nightmares. I had no other choice but to go in and save my sister. I knew the minute I opened that door there was a good chance I wouldn't be coming out alive. The grass was tall, the violation tag waving in the breeze at the front of the lawn, and newspapers sprawled out on the porch. I reached into my purse, grabbed my keys, and walked up the steps to the house. I unlocked the door and eased it open enough to squeeze between it and the frame. I closed the door, and my body slammed against the wall before I could turn around. I cradled the left side of my face while stumbling to stand up. 

"Took you long enough to get here!" Dad yelled, towering over me as I still struggled to stand up. "I should kill you where you stand, helping them put me away in jail!" 

I managed to brace myself against the wall and stand up. "Where's Jules?" I lowered my hand, pretending not to notice the smeared blood. I hoped she was up in her old room with the door closed, waiting for me to go up there. My eyes briefly flashed over to the stairs as I strained to hear the slightest sound to let me know she was okay. 

"She's not up there." Dad laughed. "Yeah...I let her go after she talked to you on the phone. I told her if she told anyone that I was here with you. You wouldn't be breathing by the time they got here. There's no one coming for you this time." He moved closer, his eyes cold, and beads of sweat ran down the sides of his face. I wasn't about to die by his hands in this house. I gripped my purse handles tighter, waiting for him to make his move because I was going to be ready at the first sign of movement. 

"You wanted me here alone?" 

"My plan worked, didn't it?" He chuckled, motioning his arms around. "You're here, aren't you?" His hazel eyes narrowed, and he started to step toward me. I gripped my purse and looked toward the door, hoping he would follow my gaze. 

"Did you hear that?" I questioned, keeping my eyes on the door. 

"Hear what?" He looked toward the door. 

This was my only chance; I had to make it count. I raised my purse and swung it as hard as I could at his head. His head lunged forward and smacked the door. As I watched his head collide with the door, It was like my feet were glued to the floor, unable to run away. I also knew if I stayed here, I would most definitely die. I swung my purse again, slamming it against his head. I ran up the stairs and hid in Jules's room. I left the door open and scooted under her bed until I was in the middle. I had left my purse in my room, hoping it would confuse him because I smelled the alcohol on him downstairs. 

"Rylee! You can't hide from me forever, you little bitch!" Dad yelled, stomping and stumbling up the stairs. "I know you're up here! When I find you, I'm going to kill you!" His worn black work boots stumbled past Jules's room. My heart was pounding, making it impossible to hear anything. I laid my hands on the floor, hoping I could feel the vibrations when he stomped around. I was about to crawl out from underneath the bed when he stomped into her room, mumbling and flinging her closet doors open. He stumbled around to the other side and fell into the bed. I hurried and clamped my hand over my mouth before he heard me. He stood up and staggered for a few minutes, trying to get his balance. He was exiting the bedroom when he stopped just outside her doorway; his feet shuffled back around, facing in my direction. My heart began pounding out of control; I clamped down harder on my hand. His feet shuffled closer to Jules's bed. I thought this was it; I was going to die here in my sister's room. My eyes widened as I stared at his faded, worn-out black boots at the foot of the bed. His hand grabbed the ruffled bed skirt. 

Slam.

"Who's there?" Dad yelled, releasing the bed skirt. His feet turned, and he staggered out of the bedroom into the hallway. He headed downstairs, mumbling the whole way. I inched closer to the foot of the bed, hoping to hear what was happening downstairs. "What are you doing here?"