Dorian's Lament

Dorian couldn't stop singing. Now that he was with a group of like-minded Borrowers with the same passion as him, he found himself humming and singing at all hours of the day. It was soothing and good practice for the next rehearsal.

The saddest thing was that practice was only once a week. He was lucky when there were two practices back-to-back the week he and Tiron were hanging out. They were going to increase practices for an upcoming performance, but that wasn't for at least another month and a half. It didn't stop him and Tiron from practicing together, but his Borrower friend still had other obligations and chores.

Dorian, thankfully, found an alternative to keep his music addiction satiated. He remembered Ashlynn had some weird circle device she called "Alexa" which she could ask to play music. He knew how to use it because they used it all of the time when they were all... together... happy...

This is what he started using.

For the past two weeks, Dorian would slip into Ashlynn's apartment right after she left for work and start practicing. Sometimes he would just sit and listen to music while other times he would sing along at the top of his lungs.

There were only two other times that he was almost caught and, unfortunately, he had lost track of time and left the device on as Ashlynn arrived home from work. He suspected Ashlynn knew it was him, but she hadn't said anything to Soren or Rey about it.

It was early in the morning and Ashlynn had just left for work. Perfect. He didn't bother bringing his bag or tools since there was a direct route from the countertop to the wall. There was also no point in checking for the human of the house because she was gone. He had the entire apartment to himself. A nervous thump began in his chest. Which song would he listen to first? He stretched as he sat down in front of the circular device. He had just the song in mind.

"Alexa," said Dorian. The lights came on instantly, awaiting his command. "Play Bohemian Rhapsody." The device's lights flashed for a moment before the song began to play. The teenage Borrower laid against the ground and closed his eyes after turning down the volume slightly to enjoy the lyrics. Dorian tapped his feet to the rhythm to that song, and the next which was a new song he heard called "My Happy Ending," and the next, and the next.

At one point, he stood up on top of the device as if it were a stage, back to the open air behind him, as he sang at the top of his lungs some song Tiron told him about called, "Hall of Fame." They were planning on doing it as a group just for the guys, but Dorian was behind in learning it.

Dorian sang along with the lyrics while practicing some of the moves Tiron taught him. If they were going to do this soon, he needed to be at the top of his game.

The young Borrower was so absorbed in the moment as the music claimed his focus that he didn't hear the familiar jingle of keys or the footsteps of Ashlynn as she came inside, listened for a moment, and peaked around the corner to see Dorian dancing and singing his heart out.

It wasn't until the song ended that the hair on Dorian's neck stood on end and he spun around to see Ashlynn standing there mere feet from him.

~~~^*^*^~~~

It was by pure chance that the other clients canceled their showings for the rest of the day. Ashlynn, slightly frustrated, made her way back home to telework and finish some paperwork. She slipped the key into the lock and turned, making her way into the apartment with ease.

"I'm home," she called softly. No response. Ashlynn set her bag on the couch and stretched. She was about to call out a second time to announce herself when she heard music playing from the kitchen. Did they forget to turn it off again?