Confronted on the Countertop - Crossover

Soundless. Stunned silence. The internal panic of the century was standing within three feet of one another. Moving would threaten the fragile moment suspended between each individual present.

Poor Rey was stiff as a board, knowing Hero probably followed him all the way here. Guilt set into Rey's shoulders as he attempted to think of some way to spin the situation. He was in so much trouble, and he knew it.

Dorian was shocked, but honestly was more worried about what would happen if this got out. What would happen to them?

Ashlynn wasn't sure what to do, understanding Soren's direction of non-interference but also picking up on the small Borrower boy's words of "not the only one." She decided to ask Soren about that later.

All of these things and more were running through Soren's head. Soren, this whole time, was absolutely mortified, knowing the consequences if Hero Rafter were spotted by any and all prying eyes. Everything hung in the balance – all because of one Borrower boy.

Hero, on the other hand, looked elated with a smile from ear to ear. He looked excited, absolutely over the moon. If it weren't for Mayzie's sweet coo calling for, "Aslyn," they probably wouldn't have moved.

Boldly, Hero took a couple of steps over from the wall and further onto the counter closer to Soren, Dorian, Rey, and Ashlynn.

"So... this is why you got all weird when I asked you questions? You were keeping this a secret?" asked Hero, directing his question at Rey.

There was no way to salvage this or spin it. How much had Hero heard of their conversation? The fact the teenager wasn't running away was both reassuring that he could be reasoned with to maintain their family secret and concerning at the same time. Soren had to try and reason with Hero.

Sadly, his two younger brothers had the same idea he did and started sputtering their words at the same time.

"Hero, you can't tell anyone. Please," said Dorian.

"You shouldn't have followed me. Why did you do it?" asked Rey, suddenly feeling overwhelmingly betrayed. "Is that why you wanted to come over?"

The teenage Borrower tried to take in everything at once, but was more focused on the human, who looked hesitantly to Soren, seemingly for direction. Hero might not have picked up on everything the others said, but what he did catch was their panicked voices and worried expressions. Confused but determined, he took another step forward.

"I don't understand. You're not being kept here, right? I mean, you look like you're all friends. Isn't that a good thing?" asked Hero, directing his questions to his fellow Borrowers. "I mean, I thought it was possible, but now I know it is. Isn't that a good thing?"

"No," interrupted Dorian. Soren took a few steps to the side of the counter and looked up at the trip, expecting to see it shift closed or prying eyes peering down into the kitchen ready to report them while Dorian continued to sputter. "No, Hero. This... I mean... this... it isn't good. Well... it is, and it isn't, but... Hero... this is not good that you're out here like this."

"Why?" asked Hero, his tone confused and calm.

While the boys bantered back and forth, Dorian trying to emphasize the potential hazards while Rey kept asking why Hero lied to him. All the while, Soren felt like he was punches in the gut, mind swirling and making him feel lightheaded.

"Soren, take a breath," said Ashlynn quietly. He inhaled and exhaled deeply upon Ashlynn's prompt. "I think I'm just going to duck around the corner for a second. I think I'm making the situation worse. Do you want me to bring Mayzie?"