Chapter 6 - Extra Help

Financially after leaving Stark industries you were ok but you were eager to find new employment and get back to work. You loved innovation and found yourself trying to re-wire your fridge at 2:00am thinking you had a way to change your ice dispenser to be the perfect small cubes of ice that crunch nicely when you eat them. It wasn't until 6:00am when you were sitting on your couch, watching Friends, and munching on ice that you knew you truly needed a new job, or a hobby. 

It has only been a week since your departure with Stark Industries but five days of Tony Stark being announced as missing overseas. You tried to not think about it too much, and you weren't sure why you were so heartbroken. The man was an arrogant asshole who only cared for himself and his profits but you religiously followed the news stories for any hope that he might be ok after the attack. Today you found yourself entranced with another news story on the TV and decided going for a walk outside would better suit you. 

When you walked out of your apartment door the sun almost blinded you. You've been staying in your apartment with the curtains closed to block out as much light has you can. You haven't been able to sleep with the way you left things off with Tessa and your worry for not only your department but all your friends still at Stark industries. It all seemed to weigh heavy on you, that this is all your fault. You knew how irrational it was but yet it still impacted you every day.

 Your legs felt like you had rubber bands were holding them together when you began to walk and giving resistance with every step. After a block and a half the tension was finally decreasing and you started to feel normal again. You mood felt more encouraging and you would almost say happiness overcame you. You walked passed the large buildings and admired the detail in their structure. While, you were looking up you misplaced your step and began to fall. 

"You should really watch where you're going." A voice pulled you back onto your feet.

"I know, I am sorry." You turned around and in your face was Michael. Your happiness dissipated at a rapid pace. 

"Oh Y/N." He itched his head out of awkwardness for the situation.

"Listen, I wont lie and tell you I am happy to see you but I need to know, is the department ok?" You crossed your arms while speaking to him.

"Yes, in fact they all received a raise after they completed your design a day after you quit." 

"Ok good." You knew your relief was plastered on your face, "And Tessa..."

"She is good, promoted to VP." You felt a bit sour knowing she took the position you were offered but couldn't be hostile when you were the one who left.

"And you two?" 

"Still going strong." He smiled, it was the first time that you noticed joy on his face and also that he shaved off his hideous mustache.

"I like what you did to your upper lip." You patted his shoulder and walked away. " You should think about shaving your ass next."  You had all the information you needed from him and continued to walked away without looking back. 

____________________________________________________________________________

An hour later you found yourself sitting on a park bench eating an ice cream cone. In your other hand was a flyer to volunteer at a local food pantry in Queens. You typed the address in your phone and began to walk towards a taxi. You were happy to be able to help other people again even if it wasn't in the name of inventing. You hailed the taxi, paid the fare, and when it stopped you looked out at the building called F.E.A.S.T ( Food, Emergency, Aid, Shelter and Training) You stepped out and noticed standing outside was a young boy with brown hair listening to music. 

" I'm sorry, to bother you but can you point me in the direction of someone who get me starting with volunteering?" You asked the boy "Oh, of course, that would be my Aunt May." He gestured for you to follow, "She will be happy for the extra help."

You followed the boy inside, "By the way.. I'm Peter.. Peter Parker." You shook his hand.