Chapter 9 -Whoa Fury Cat

"So you tell me Y/N, what did you do?" He proceeded forward out of the parking garage and you were quiet. What the hell did Tony mean you saved his life?  How could you have possibly contributed to that? Did he mean philosophically like he started volunteering? No, he couldn't have and I highly doubt he got out of whatever situation he was in because of his kind heart." You kept dwelling on the possibilities, "Maybe the invention?" 

Finally Brock interrupted your thoughts, "Do you know where you're going?"

"Home? I live in Upper Manhattan." You gestured for the street he needed to turn on. "I don't advise going home tonight. They found you in S.H.I.E.L.D within minutes, they are going to be anticipating your return."

"Shit, you're right." You didn't really know anyone else beside May that you could stay with. But she had Peter and you don't need her bothered with all this. "I guess, a hotel then?" 

"Hiding out isn't really your specialty is it?" He took his eyes off the ride to look at you. "Oh, I'm sorry," You became sarcastic, " I am not an expert in dodging the paparazzi."

He started to laugh, "Listen if you want you can crash at my place." You just stared at him in no way could he be serious and in no way were you going to fall for that. "Are you high? I just met you like 10 minutes ago. I am not going to crash at your house." You sank back in the passenger seat, "Plus, Tony was most likely delirious from whatever happened over seas. Once he clears this up in his next interview tomorrow morning I am sure this whole thing will blow over. It must have just been a misunderstanding." You stared out the window as Rumlow drove. 

"Maybe I could take the ferry over to New Jersey," You looked back at Brock, "People in New Jersey are probably less fond of Tony Stark." Suddenly the SUV started to get an incoming call.

"Rumlow, go ahead." He picked up

"Rumlow, it's Fury are you with that Y/N girl?" 

"Yes, sir." He answered, "You're on speaker." 

"Ok good." Fury responded, "Tony really put her on blast and he is refusing to say anything more. Bring her here tomorrow morning, He needs a night to rest and until then, you stay with her. It's an order." 

He just looked at you, genuinely apologetic. You shook your ahead, "Um, whoa, Fury Cat." You're not sure what drove you to say that but later you found out it was the perfect name for him. "Who the hell are you to tell me what I will and will not do?" There was no response on the other end of the line and Rumlow's cheeks looked a little red. "Last I checked, I can do what I want. I did nothing wrong."  There was still no answer, "Hello!"

Fury responded, "You're right, Rumlow can you bring her here instead?" 

"On it." and he whipped the car around. 

______________________________________________________________________

You weren't sure what part of the city you were in but the building was very similar to the S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters downtown. "I am going to die?" You looked at Brock. 

"What the hell are you talking about?" You still walked side by side with him into the building

"Well, I don't understand how in one single millisecond my life can be turned around so much that I am walking into an undisclosed location with an agent," You scanned him up and down, "With a body like that you are clearly front lines and don't try to lie." He looked rather flattered, "Security guys are like the movie Mall Cop, straight Paul Blart. You are not a Paul Blart."

He opened the door for you, "That's because you never saw me in High School." You enjoyed knowing that he used to be a chubby kid. "You still never answered my question," you responded. Then a man stepped out from one of the back doors. 

"Rumlow, Y/N, follow me." You again proceeded forward.

"Is that Fury?" You whispered to Brock. He didn't acknowledge your question and proceeded forward. You were brought into a large meeting room that was surprisingly bright from the sun. 

"Sit." He looked at you and you did as he asked. He wore an eye patch that was very intimidating. Fury uncrossed his arms and sat in a chair next to you where there was a file folder.

"This is why I need you safe." He slid the document toward you. "Not because I am a good person?" You smiled at him

"No, because you helped create this." He opened the folder and there was a photo of a giant metal man. 

You picked it up and analyzed the photo, the metal material, and the size of the bolts used, but what caught you off guard was the round object in the chest. You slowly set it down, "I don't understand." You looked at Fury and back at Rumlow. "This looks like a scrapped design I had, I named it Iron Man. You see the periodic table for Iron is Fe and I thought this would be revolutionary for a woman to be made into such a powerful machine." You rubbed your face, "Fuck." You stood up and began pacing, " I scrapped it, it was in my trash can. There was too many issues that something like this could cause and the only one who saw my scrapped designs was", You knew and your face was showing your tell, "Fucking Tony Stark. That son of a bitch!" You were fuming that he stole your idea, wasn't the water conversation enough? 

"Now I understand the frustration but you need to listen." Fury gestured toward the chair and you sat back down. "You did save his life, without this he would have died." Fury told you the story about his capture and how the design made it able for him to escape. Your feelings settled a bit. "Now there are a few things I need from you Y/N." You looked up at him.

"I need you to meet with Tony tomorrow to talk about this." He pointed to the glowing chest plate in the Iron Man machine. "I think it might be a new element and with anything new, we need to know about what it's capable of." You nodded, you wanted to know how he was able to get a core infusion running with enough power too and judging by the design that is the culprit. "Second, I want to offer you a job."

"Excuse me?" You looked at him. 

"I heard you need one," Fury leaned back in his chair, "Plus, we're hiring and I think you would be a great fit."

"What would I be doing?" Fury glanced at the iron man photo, "Whatever you want." Then he flashed a smile.