1: Hidden feelings

Busan, South Korea. 

They were Taekook— Taehyung and Jungkook, inseparable since their very childhood, from elementary to high school;  lazy afternoons were spent holding hands, playing basketball in the roadside playground, sharing Pokemon cards, keeping secrets, endless talkings, walking home together, then calling each other randomly from the windows of their bedrooms which had a good three-meter distance and continuing whatever discussion they left till midnight were their everyday things. 'Where's Taehyung? —Ask Jungkook.'  'Where's Jungkook? —Must be in Taehyung's house.' Not only their parents, but everyone in the colony would know 'Taekook' never left each other. 

  One fine morning, dropping himself on the edge of the little couch in Jungkook's bedroom, Taehyung set out what weighed his mind, "Economics ain't giving me any hope. I'm quitting."

  Jungkook, whose face was jammed against his phone, made no reaction. He was shirtless, his baby abs like carved marble glowing under the beige sunlight peeking through the semi transparent curtains of the windows beside him. Where the other boy was in casual blue jeans and white shirt, uncombed long curls falling on his face making it seem smaller like a Japanese doll.

  "Bunny, Are you listening?"

  "What?" Jungkook was so absorbed in texting  that he didn't notice when his friend had gotten closer to him. He made a whinny sound at the back of his throat when his phone was snatched away from his hand, "Hey, wait," He stretched his arm to get it back which was drawn farther out of his reach. He pulled the other by his collar, not forcing though, actually didn't want to tear his shirt  which was new he knew. He groaned and gave up a second later. Hands falling on lap defeatedly. None of his tricks he knew would work on his best friend, who would definitely make him listen to whatever he had to say. "At least you could let me say her a bye. What will she think of me keeping her message on seen?" 

  "She'll probably think you have no interest in her." Taehyung handed him his phone after switching it off. 

  "What happened now? Tell me." 

  "I will but first, tell me who I am?" 

  "Ughhh!" The annoyed groan projected that it wasn't Jungkook's first time facing this question, "Taehyung."

  "Only Taehyung?" His perfectly arched eyebrow demanded something else. 

  "Kim taehyung." Jungkook leaned back and watched him sulk. 

  "Tae is," Taehyung said, kicking his foot gently, "The first part of Taekook. No one can take Tae's place in Kook's life. Not even that short hair skinny girl you are courting." 

  Jungkook kicked his foot back. "Why the hell are you getting so possessive and aggressive day by day?"

  The word 'aggressive' somehow triggered the other boy as he raised on his knees to crush himself on his thighs and cupped his face with both of his hands, squished his cheeks until a pout popped up on his mouth, and made him look up at him. "Why aren't you paying attention to me these days?"

 "I do," It was difficult speaking with a squished mouth, though Jungkook didn't push him away. "It's you who confuses me."

  "What-da-ever. Remember this," Taehyung brought his face closer to his face, warm breath ghosting over his pink pout where his eyes lingered, "You can't escape from me."

  Jungkook didn’t flinch. His brow furrowed, eyes tightening on his blinkless stare. Almost 24/7 he was with him. He couldn't remember the last time they had a fight and stopped talking for a whole day.  Taehyung was damn right— none could take his place in his life. They'd become like each other's habits— hard to let go.