5: Wasn't in the plan

[Flashback]

  "Tae," 

  He was halfway across the station when Jungkook's voice called him to run faster. Though his legs were longer, he hated that his steps were slower than his friend. A huge backpack was slamming against his back with each movement of his body, his palm clammy where he gripped the straps, heart beating faster than the tick-tocking of that big platform clock. City lights were fluttering under the moonlight, stars glittering far above. The breeze whispered through his ear along with the whistle of the last train to Seoul.  

  "Oh shit!" Jungkook's sneakers smacked against the stair when he mounted the train,  a hand pushing the glass door from closing, another hanging in the air for his friend, "Hop on." 

  "Agh—" Taehyung made a low groan as he took his hand. In a fraction of second he was yanked with a jerk and his feet landed beside Jungkook. 

  Automatically the door closed behind separating them from the city noises. 

  "You,"  Taehyung bent over, gripping his knees, breathing hard. "You crazy? Your hand would get squeezed in the door."

  "It wouldn't, but," Jungkook was pressing his back against the wall, panting. His creamy skin flushed, hair dishevelled, face showing serious concern, "What'd happen if you tripped?"

  "You'd catch me." Taehyung smiled, still gasping for air. 

  "F*ck." Jungkook groaned and laughed. "Bad idea to follow you like a fool." 

  "So you're admitting you're a fool?" Taehyung teased leaning in close to Jungkook, laughing. 

  "You're fucken crazy."

  "I'm confident. We're going to become famous one day."

  "Overconfident." 

  "Umm no." Taehyung reached for his hand,  seren curiosity in his big eyes now, "Just promise me you'll never leave my hand. Always stay by my side."

  "I will." Jungkook whispered as he held his hand tightly in his fist, making a silent promise— "I will."

[End of flashback]

  ………… Memories flashed through Jungkook's mind; those whispers and giggles over nervousness and fear of leaving their homes for the first time, moving to a big city with dreams pooling their eyes. He remembered vividly the words he said that day. Today, looking into Taehyung's big brown wounded eyes, he felt a bit ashamed for not keeping his promise. 

  He was ashamed. 

  And lost. 

  He saw Taehyung close his eyes without speaking and didn't open them for a while, he did this in a way that made him weirdly nervous. The weird part was Jungkook could do the only thing at that moment— stare. 

  So many years passed, still he could read his friend like an open book and knew deep down he was just angry with him but had never forgotten. He watched him pressing his lips together in a manner to suppress his anger. He also seemed to be holding his breath. Certainly his presence was making his friend uncomfortable and maybe he wanted him so badly to disappear but that wasn't possible without moving his legs which seemed like they were jammed on the ground. 

  Taehyung looked so good. Better than he'd seen him on the television screen and the covers of various national and international magazines. The shirt was decent but a little loose in places where his curves were at, the maroon and green repp-stripe silk tie and brown leather belt giving a classic look. Everything looked good on him. His angelic features made every outfit look gorgeous.