Chapter 7: Mothers day

I felt Batripple get up and licked me on the cheek to let me sleep more. Our kids are growing fast and respected by the whole colony. Batripple is the best mate for a cat like me. Chervilberry woke up and decided to let me sleep because she knows that it's mother's day. She woke her brother and sister. "It's mother's day we should do something for mom." Chervilberry said as she stood to her paws. "What do you have in mind. *Yawns* Like hunting for her." Hollysong asked tiredly. "Like catching her favorite prey. She would love it." Chervilberry said with excitement but not to loud to wake me up. "Yeah, let's go she will love anything we do for her." Hollysong said. My three children walked out of the rangers den and went hunting. They walked over to Batripple to see what my favorite type of prey. They walked out of the base to begin hunting. They caught three large thrush for me. They brought it back to the base and over to the rangers den with their mouths full of thrush. "Mom." Chervilberry said as she pawwed me playfully. "Yeah Chervil." I said as I woke up. "We caught you these." Chervilberry said for her siblings. "Thank you Chervilberry, Duskwind, and Hollysong." I said as I got up and licked each of my kids on the cheek. "You are welcome mom and happy mothers day." Hollysong said in his usual monotone voice. "Should we enjoy the day as we have it?" I asked as I wolved down the thrush. "Yeah mom." Duskwind said as we walked out of the rangers den. Chervilberry, Duskwind, Hollysong, and I walked over to Batripple and my father. I sat down next to Batripple. "If you three go hunting today, please be careful because there has been a badger sighting and we don't want to lose you." I explained. "We will mom." Chervilberry said for her siblings as she put her paw on my paw. "Mom." Hollysong said in his usual monotone voice. "Yes Hollysong?" I asked. "I'm going hunting." Hollysong said. "Please be careful." I said. "I will mom." Hollysong said as he walked out of the base with his friend Elmwhisker; son of Fernlight and Berrycloud. "At least he is not going out alone." Batripple said. "Yeah." I said. As soon as they left Hollysong got attacked by the badger, but he wasn't strong enough to fight it so it killed him and injured Elmwhisker. Elmwhisker dragged Hollysong's lifeless body into the base. "Hollysong... no, no, no." I cried. Dad walked over to us. "What happened Elmwhisker? I'm not mad I just want to now what happened to Hollysong." Dad said to Elmwhisker. "We were out hunting for the colony and we ran into a badger, it started to attack me. Hollysong launched himself at it and it started attacking him, but he wasn't strong enough so it killed him. I'm sorry Midnightfur and Whiteclaw." Elmwhisker said. Fernlight and Berrycloud walked over to us. "What happened to Hollysong?" Fernlight asked me frantically. "He was killed by a badger." I said as a tear rolled down my dark-grey fur. Batripple put his tail on my back to comfort me after the death of our son. Dad walked up onto the rock in the middle of the clearing. "Let all cats old enough to run in our fields gather around to hear my words." Dad announced. Every cat dispersed out of dens and into the clearing of the base. I walked up onto the rock below dad. "We have recently lost one of our rangers to a due to badger attack. So we must sit a quiet vigal for Hollysong as he makes his way to the ancestors." Dad announced.