CHAPTER 7

ORLANDO

Earth Solar System, 40 years ago

After hearing the last transmission from the Oldumare, Orlando took it hard, losing Joilee. Orlando hoped that the E.G.C. would try to search for survivors, but the council declared that humanity was too important to send more people, which was considered a suicide mission. Orlando fell into depression and took his duties lightly, which got him in trouble with the E.G.C. military and caused him to be reprimanded harshly on various occasions.

Orlando could not sleep as he had nightmares of Joilee. A few of them were her burning alive onto Oldumare, and others were of her begging him to come to save her. Orlando woke up many nights in cold sweats.

The military heavily dealt with soldiers that did not serve their duties to the full extent, yet they understood Orlando had suffered a loss. Before the military resulted in giving Orlando and dishonorable discharge for being unfit for duty, they sent him to see an E.G.C. Psychiatrist. That is when Orlando met Dr. Yelena Petrarov. Dr. Petrorov was of Russian descent. She had skin the color of snow, blue eyes, pinkish lips, and dark brunette hair. Petrorov was a slender woman who was five-two in height. When Orlando walked into her office, Petrorov wore an E.G.C. issued uniform showing her rank as Chief Psychiatric Personnel. Orlando gazed at Dr. Yelena with sincere admiration. However, his love spell was broken with the guilt of betraying Joilee in mind. Petrorov e directed Orlando to a seat as she read his military service record on a tablet.

"Lt. Jackson, I see that you have a very impressive military record. Excellent marksman, an excellent commanding officer, and an expert in explosives and demolition. You are considered the cream of the crop in the military. However, the demerits in your file say otherwise. You are constantly late to your post, disobeying high-ranking officials, and getting into senseless fights. These are shameful actions, Lt. Orlando."

"Yeah, so what!" Orlando replied with a non-caring attitude.

"So you are not too far from being kicked out of the military and declassified as a citizen-worker. Ore mining or janitorial services is not meant for a man of your skill and caliber," Petrorov replied. Orlando said nothing.

"I know you are angry and said that to her. Joilee dying was not your fault."

"How did you know about Joilee?"

"It's in your file. You know that the E.G.C. military documents everything, including our relationships. So tell me about your feelings."

"I am not going to tell you anything about my feelings."

"You must because I can give you a bad report of failure to cooperate with the E.G.C. psych procedures."

"Unless you give me an order, I am not saying nothing."

"If you need to be an order, well, fine. Tell me how you feel. That is an order," Any medical personnel can overrule any commanding officers or council members as protocol when E.G.C. personnel has been compromised. In Orlando's case, since the destruction of the Oldumare, his mental health has declined for the past four months.

"Fine! What do you want to know!"

"Tell me about Joilee!"

"Joilee is a remarkable woman. Smart, innovative, caring, and kick some ass in mixed martial arts. We entered the academy together and became great friends and more."

"How did you feel when you heard about the destruction of the Oldumare?"

"I felt that she might still be alive. I mean, if it's true. Sierra Alpha Prime is a sustainable planet, just like Earth before the great global conflict. Some crew could have made it down to the planet in escape pods. I just don't understand why the council won't send another ship on a search and rescue."

"The council deemed that it would be too risky. You heard the transmission that was broadcasted over the news channels. The council thinks it's best to preserve our ships, resources, and citizens. We don't know what took down the Oldumare. It could be an advanced race of aliens. The Hearthtropolis council thought building other colonies within the solar system was best.

"So we leave good people up there to die."

"it terms we must work on for you to keep your sane," Orlando breaks down and cries.

"It's unfair!"

"I know, but it's not our decision to judge. The council job."

"What must I do now! My baby is up there!"

"Find another focus to take your mind off this matter. Focus on your work and find another woman to love. Trust me. Life will get easier." From that point on, Orlando opened himself up to Petrorov.

PRESENT-DAY

Orlando returned to his living quarter after he debriefed Joilee. The base camp living quarters was small but comfortable enough for two people. The L.E.D. Lights filled the room. It was well furnished, just enough for enough conformability to live.

His wife, Yelena, was 62 years old. She is of mixed Mexican and Russian genes. She was wearing an E.G.C. uniform that was like a fitted dress. She has short gray hair that followed E.G.C. grooming protocol. She was about 5' 8 and a very slim woman. Her skin was fairly brown.

When Orlando walked into the room, Yelena kissed Orlando after helping him take off his military uniform.

"Welcome home, love!"

"Yelena, when did you get home?"

"I just arrived 13 hundred hours ago. You are not glad to see me.?"

"Yeah! Yeah! I am just a bit surprised. The last time we talked was before I left for the Oasis. Yeah, as soon you were assigned to the Ragnorok, I was sent here for a special assignment."

"What is the special assignment," Orlando asked.

"An assignment that is classified."

"Well, I am glad as well."

"How was your day?"

"Trying to get the situation under control with our guest Joilee," Orlando replied

"How is Joilee?"

"She is fine. She has not aged a bit in 40 years. Yet, she has changed?"

"How is my love?"

"Dunno! Some scientists believe in the time-space differential theory. Scientists believe that time can pass quickly or slowly depending on where you are in the universe.

"How are you holding up?"

"I am fine! I am just exhausted from the military work."

"You are deflecting the subject. I was talking about you reuniting with Joilee. You two were going to get married."

"Are you jealous?" Orlando turned around with a teasing smile.

"Maybe a bit, but that is of little importance. It took you years of psychiatric treatment to get over her."

"You don't have to remind me. Always being drilled by the psychologist. "Faith in the E.G.C. above all!" I have lived by that motto for the past 40 years. So I am fine."

"Good!"

"Are you okay with this? You don't have to go. I can recommend as your psychiatrist that you aren't fit for the mission.

"No! I have to do this. Maybe I can lay Joilee to rest. I can finally move on! For us!"

"Alright! If you think it's best for you."

"Anyway, I better get some sleep. I have to get ready for my assignment tomorrow."

"Alright!"

"Oh, and I prepared an antidepressant and sedative cocktail. I have been briefing myself on your encounter with Joilee. I can imagine that you must be reaching your stress limits."

'Believe me, I am. I will be sure to take it."