CHAPTER 13

GENERAL TALBOT & THE COUNCIL

A day after Joilee's transmission, Talbot went to the communications room. He ordered all communications officers out of the room and programmed a council security level access to the room. General Talbot contacted the Chief Council Spokesman, Council Maximus. Instead of a towering holographic projection, the council spokesman appeared on an OLED 24-inch monitor at his desk.

"General Talbot, are you ready to report?"

'I am. Is this a secure channel?"

"Of course," The spokesman assured. "The council and I have reviewed the video log of Joilee."

"What do you think about her insubordination? She refuses to help us in our mission to colonize this planet."

"We have reviewed the logs from your base camp. Joilee has not openly refused to help us, but we are convinced we cannot control her."

"Do you think you can control a weapon?"

"A weapon!"

"Yes, Joilee is a living weapon. She has uncanny abilities!"

"Agreed. So what are your plans to contain this matter?"

"Joilee must be terminated if I am going to complete my mission to destroy the other alien weapon at the savage's temple!"

"I agree. However, the other council member does not. They believe Joilee is a key to our survival. Our scientists are coming up with solutions to contain Joilee alive. In the meantime, play along. Focus on destroying that weapon."

"Why is it so important that we take out this weapon? We can settle anywhere on this planet with our created flight plans."

"The Oldumarey's old satellite detected that the area is rich in raw and unknown metals. To extract that raw material, we need to extract it from the surface to a mining ship safely. We plan to start mining operations in 6 months. That is your period to destroy the weapon."

"I understand. What about Mason and Orlando? They seemed to admire Joilee. Should I deal with them as well?"

"For the time being, they will serve as pawns. Once Joilee and the weapon are destroyed, Mason and Orlando will be reassigned to Earth for law enforcement."

"Fine, sir. I will carry out your mission."

"And remember, your mission is covert."

TALBOT & DR. YELENA

Dr. Yelena is in her psych office looking over the recording from Joilee's last message. Yelena is trying to understand Joilee's mindset in her betrayal. Yelena is looking for social cues in her body language to understand Joilee. after she agreed to help the human race set up colonies on Sierra Alpha Prime. Yelena understands that Joilee was telling the truth to help the EGC, but why understand her deception in not using the plan they had discussed.

While Dr. Yelan was deeply observing the video, General Talbot entered her office. Dr. Yelena quickly turned off the monitor for confidentiality purposes.

"General Talbot, how are you today?"

"Just damn peachy!"

"Are you here to finally start attending your psych evaluations? In your report, you have missed the last ten mandatory evaluations."

"I see you have been doing your homework on me?"

"It is my job as the chief psychiatrist on this base."

"I am not here as I don't have time for that."

"You know that it is very important and is mandated that all soldiers undergo a monthly psych evaluation.

"The council believes that my time is more valuable sitting here spilling my emotions on a shrinks table; since I have been cleared for duty countless times."

"Well, if you are not here for your evaluation, how may I help you!"

"I am here to discuss our little traitor problem. Could you give me any detail on the time you spent talking with the enemy?"

"I don't think Joilee is our enemy. However, I am concerned about her behavior."

"What do you mean?"

"Sorry, that information is restricted due to confidential patient protocols."

"Doctor, please spare me the policies. I am here to do a threat assessment of the enemy."

"Look, Doctor, I already know she has abilities that no other can explain. Not to mention these weird stones placed on her body, which seem to give her those abilities."

"How do you know that? That information is confidential," Dr. Yelena asked with a surprised demeanor.

General Talbot grabbed an OLED tablet and entered his General Level access code. He handed it to Dr. Yelena to review. Dr. Yelena's face is contorted in disgust.

"As you can see, Doctor, the council has given me unlimited access to any information about Joilee. You are ordered to cooperate with me on such matters."

"Fine, General, what would you like to know?"

"For one, do you think Joilee's mental state threatens our government's interest?

"To be honest with you, I don't know. However, I find her behavior apprehensive when identifying with her species."

"What do you mean?"

"I do believe she has resentment towards abandonment. Joilee has spent the last ten years of no hope of seeing the human race again. Moreover, Joilee has been adopted by the natives on the planet. Joilee feels that she is obligated to protect them by any means necessary."

"Even if it means killing her people," Talbot raises a brow.

"Only if she is provoked. I mean, you have to understand that since we arrived, we have done nothing but antagonize her."

"What about the stones on her body. I observed Quanyin's autopsy reports. She believes they are the reason why Joilee gained such uncanny abilities."

"I am no medical Doctor General; however, I believe they might be causing some mental side effects."

"Explain!"

"I really can't. There is not enough information that was gathered from them. However, if we get Joilee back here and evaluate and study those stones, we might get a possible answer."

"I see!"

"Is that all, General?"

"What about Orlando? How do you feel about him showing admiration to someone who disregards the EGC rule?

"General, I thought we were here to talk about Joilee."

"We are! Since your husband and Joilee were once engaged."

"That was a long time ago!"

"I find it a disgrace that he showed such compassion to someone who turned their backs on the Hearthtropolian government. It's a disrespect to our standards and, most important, a disrespect to you!"

"Orlando suffered much. I will support my husband by any means."

"Even if it betrays the council."

"To a point, I can remain loyal to both."

"Well, Dr. Yelena there will be a time you can't have it both ways. You are going to have to one day choose sides.