CHAPTER 14

GENERAL TALBOT, ORLANDO, AND MASON

Inside the walls of the forward operating base, Lt. Mason is handing out orders to his subordinates. After a couple of weeks of spending time recovering from his acute hearing loss, Lt. Mason was back on duty. As he handed out the patrol task around the parameter, he received a video message from General Talbot to report to the base's command center.

Mason put the next chain commanding officer in charge before heading inside the decontamination room. As Mason walks through the corridors of the main base, he is joined by Orlando.

"General Jackson, sir," Lt. Mason saluted.

"At ease Mason. Where are you on your way to? I thought you would be handing out daily patrols."

"I was sir until I was ordered to see General Talbot."

"Talbot wanted to see you too, huh. I received a request from him to see me while going over daily reports."

"Do you know what he wants to see us about?"

"You know why!"

"To talk about Joilee?"

"Of course. Anyway, how have you been feeling since your encounter with Joilee?"

"My hearing is way better. I still get ringing in my ears at night or in dead silence. Dr. Quanyin said it will go away in time."

"That is good to hear."

"Sir, do you know why Joilee attacked us? I am her brother, and I was no threat to her."

"Joilee knows that. She said that she was trying to protect you. Something about the native will kill you on sight."

"They would have killed me?"

"Joilee believes so. So don't take it too personally."

After a few turns in the base corridors, Orlando and Mason entered the command center, where General Talbot was looking at footage from a spy drone. One of the guards noticed Orlando and quickly saluted him.

"General on deck!"

All security officers sitting at their stationed consoles stood up to salute Orlando.

"At ease, soldiers," the General stated.

General Talbot smiled when he saw Orlando and Mason walking through the doors.

"I am glad you two can make it?"

Orlando looked at the monitors and noticed that Talbot was spying on the natives.

"What is this about, General! Why are you flying recon drones over the village" Orlando asked?

"Just trying to get to know our enemy."

"I am quite sure not in the best interest of both sides," Mason replied while daggering his eyes at Talbot.

"Son, I am only interested in what is best for the human race. Anyway, I did not ask you both here for chit-chat. Let's discuss how we can all be on the same page and keep this situation under control with Joilee."

"Joilee doesn't need to be controlled, General. She needs us to respect how she chooses to operate," Mason replied.

"Excuse me, son," the General asked.

"What Mason is trying to say is that let's try talking with her instead of going full military on a group of people that we have the upper hand on. I know you won't cause unnecessary carnage."