John- Home

Dear John
How have you been? That's a silly question isn't it? Your fighting in a war and I'm asking how you are. It's only been 6 weeks and I miss you terribly, our bed feels so empty without you in it. I know I only sent you a letter a few days ago, well that's how long it's been for me, but you deserve to know something.

3 weeks ago I got sick, I could barely leave our bed. Polly had to take care of the kids for me. Since then I have been throwing up everyday, missed my bleed. You probably already know where this is going, you've dealt with this with Martha, but this is all new to me. Anyway, Polly suspected I could be pregnant so I went to the doctors. Yesterday it was confirmed that I am indeed pregnant. This wasn't how I expected for us to have our first baby together. I was hoping we would all be together. I hope this war is over soon so you can see your son or daughter be born. I love you John, please stay safe, or as safe as you can. Hurry and come home to us.

I fold the letter into the envelope and lick it to close it
"YN?" I look up to see Polly "how are you feeling today?"
"Shit" I laugh "threw up 4 times today and it's only 2pm"
"It'll pass soon love"
"I hope so"
"I'll walk you to the post office"
"Thanks Polly" I stand up and pick up the letter "I miss him Poll"
"I know you do YN. He will come home to you. I know he will, especially now your pregnant. He will want to meet his daughter"
"Daughter?" I ask frowning
"I'm almost sure this baby is a girl" Polly smiles.

4 years later
"Mummy will daddy like me?" I look at my daughter Eloise
"Of course he will and your uncles will spoil you"
"Remember YN they may not be the same as they once were" Ada mumbles but before I can say anything the train arrives. I lift Eloise up into my arms when the doors to the trains open. Families begin rushing towards the train to find their loved ones, we however hang back. Then I see them. The 3 Shelby brothers
"John!" I yell running towards him as he runs towards me. He embraces me in his arms while I'm still holding our daughter. John pulls back and looks at the young girl who looks at him shyly "John meet your daughter Eloise. Eloise this is your dad. And these are your uncles, Tommy and Arthur"
"She looks like you" Arthur says
"Has our Johns eyes though" Tommy speaks
"Let's go home" John smiles.