Chapter 12

Corporal Karin Anders is an N7 recruit under Commander James Vega. She survived the Reaper war as a resistance fighter under David Anderson, then joined the Alliance after the war. Surprisingly, she became an N7 soon after joining the Alliance. She was in the Voyager Cluster when Shepard destroyed the base. She was with a convoy chasing down Shepard; her jeep was destroyed but somehow she survived, and she saw the explosion that destroyed the Alliance base.

Then she was reassigned to Mars. She was in the lobby when Shepard's bomb went off, leaving her severely wounded but not as badly as most who were close to the explosion. Many of her friends were not so lucky, but she was able to move out of the building and help the troops in the down shuttles. After Mars, she was relocated to London back on Earth, where she was in an Alliance Hospital when everything she knew was turned on its head. Two days later, when she was about to be released, Admiral Hackett came to her and offered her an assignment. Hackett knew she could not turn it down, the ability to work with the Normandy crew under James Vega.

When Karin first walked on board the Normandy, she was ecstatic. This is where the Reaper war was won, so much history and greatness was made on this ship, and one of the most famous humans ever lived commanded this very ship.

Now, Karin is wondering if she should have turned down Hackett. After they captured Shepard, she was on edge. Many did not notice she was waiting for them. Specter Williams and N7 Commander Vega simply ignored the fact that she was waiting for them. All they knew is that Harbinger is captured by Phoenix and they have Shepard in custody. Now she is hanging in a tree because her gut feeling was right.

"Corporal, where are you?" asked the Turian she met on board the Normandy.

"Just hanging around. Too many Phoenix troopers walking around," answered Karin as a group of Phoenix troopers walked by.

"Copy, find a way down. I need you to move to the northeast," Garrus answered as more of the team came live on the radio. Karin lost her helmet when she landed in the trees, along with her rifle. Somehow her radio was still attached to her ear, and she still has Shepard's pistol, which she grabbed from her holster when they brought her aboard the now destroyed transport, and her combat blade. Karin reached for her blade and went to cut the straps of her parachute. With the first strap she cuts, she drops a few inches and leans to the side, and with the last strap she falls fifteen feet onto soft wet dirt.

Karin regained her senses as she lay on the ground. Two Phoenix troopers ran to where they heard a loud crash in the thick brush. As the troopers used their flashlights to look over the brush, Karin stayed as low as she can get. Her knuckles burned as the muddy dirt irritated them. For a few moments, the troopers remained and left after they figured it was just the local wildlife. After the Phoenix troopers left, Karin moved her hands to look at them and noticed that the gloves were torn at the knuckles and also scraped to the point of bleeding.

Karin remained on the ground but reached for her pocket and drew Shepard's Pistol and noticed it was fixed with a small suppressor. She then reached for her combat blade, which she dropped onto the ground when she fell. Karin then began to crawl on her stomach as she made her way through the dense foliage. As she was making her way, she started to smell smoke. Karin comes up to a clearing. Then Karin moved to a large tree and kneeled behind it and looked out at smoldering parts of the Alliance Transport and in the middle were three Phoenix operatives, two females and one male human.

One of the Phoenix operators with a mask moved closer to Karin, overlooking the foliage. As the operator moved closer, Karin laid back down as the operator stopped and looked in the direction Karin is laying down in the thick brush.

"What is it, Shadow? What do you see?" asked the male operative as he moved closer to the Shadow.

"Nothing, just the local wildlife," answered Sara as she moved away from Karin. Karin sighed as she continued north on the outside perimeter of the main crash site. As she moved along the foliage, Phoenix became more frequent. But she kept moving. After what she figured was about 15 minutes, she came up to a path and no Phoenix personnel to be seen. As she rose and started to walk up the path, she noticed a Turian looking at a small river pool.

Garrus heard footsteps behind and looked back and saw the N7 recruit moving closer to him. He nods to the N7 as he points towards the water. As she moved beside him and looked forward, she noticed three Phoenix troopers guarding two of her crew, Specter Williams and N7 Commander Vega, with their hands on top of their heads.

"You take the one on the left, I will take the one on the right, on three," ordered Garrus as he raised his pistol with an attached suppressor. Karin raised up her own pistol, Shepard's pistol, and aimed the captured Phoenix pistol.

"One...two...three!" exclaimed Garrus as two shots from both their pistols shot and slammed into the Phoenix helmets. Two Phoenix operators fell into the water. As the third trooper moved to look to where the shot came from, James got up and charged the Phoenix trooper and slammed him into the ground as Karin shot once into the head of the Phoenix trooper.

"Watch it, Corporal. You could have hit me," James exclaimed, startled from the shot from the other N7.

"I would not miss...sir," answered Karin as she pocketed her pistol and kneeled down and cleaned her hands, clearing away the mud from her knuckles, stinging in the meantime.

"We have to move before Phoenix comes this way," exclaimed Ashely as Karin stood up straight and they started to move. As they moved, she took out her pistol. They moved up the river, which was covered by canyon walls.

"Hold," Ashley said as she could hear engines in the distance. The team moved closer to a group of big boulders. As the team moved behind them, they noticed a Phoenix gunship lifting supplies and a group of Phoenix troopers moving up the river away from them.

The team held their positions until they could no longer see the Phoenix troopers. Once they could no longer be seen, Ashely ordered the team to move down the stream. As they moved down the stream, a group of Phoenix troopers could be heard coming their way. Ash could see a waterfall to the left.

"There! The waterfall! Hide behind it! Hurry!" Ashley ordered as they moved to the waterfall. As they fell behind the waterfall, a large group of Phoenix troopers moved very close to them.

"Stay quiet and still," exclaimed Garrus as the group moved past them.

"Hurry before they circle back," ordered Ashely as they moved from their positions from underneath the waterfall. As they moved further down the stream, they came to a moderate group of Phoenix operators.

"Stay behind me, engage only if spotted," ordered Ashely as the team fell in behind her, crouching by the group. As they moved completely past a few troopers by mere feet, after they moved, they came to what looked to be tall grass. "Stay behind me, single file," ordered Ashely again as the team moved down the field in a single file, as they could barely see Phoenix troopers as they moved down the grass field. After a few minutes, the team came to a clearing and a small hill. As they moved up the hill, the team heard the sounds of engines from a single gunship. In mere moments, a Phoenix Gunship appeared.

"Gunship down!" ordered Ashley as they hit the dirt. The gunship hovered above as the team lay low.

"Stay low," Ashley stated as the gunship lights searched the top of the hill but found nothing as it simply went by the group. As the gunship went by, the group rose to their knees. Ashely noticed a passage with a mudslide heading in the direction they are heading.

"To the left, move it," ordered Ashely as the team moved to the top edge of the mudslide. "Team slide," ordered Ash as the team slid down very slick mud. When they landed on the bottom, they noticed no Phoenix operatives could be found.

"Move it, we don't have long," Ashley stated as the team made their way to a stream and followed it down until they reached a waterfall.

"Gunship coming around!" James screamed as the gunship appeared over the waterfall.

"Jump!" ordered Ashley as she and the team jumped off the edge of the waterfall into a large pool as an Alliance hover boat came by, firing at the gunship. As the team swam to the boat, the Alliance troopers helped them on board.

"We need to move. Phoenix just took the prison," said the trooper as the boat took off down the river.