Chapter 36

Shepard is currently aboard the Enterprise. It has been three days since the events on Akuz, and many of her supposed friends are urging her to stop her chase of the Shadow. She has already informed them of her viewpoints, refusing to allow any experimentation on the Reapers and promising to protect their races souls in the process. As the war with the Alliance draws to a close, the Hierarchy has launched an invasion of the Republic's capital world. Despite Coalition leaders' pleas for Shepard to lead their forces on the planet, she chooses to ignore them and heads toward Noveria. She hopes that by destroying the Reaper god, Victus will lose interest.

In the hangar, Shepard examines her gear while reflecting on recent developments. DAN has examined Sara's laptop and discovered that neither he nor Gibson noticed a protocol that would alert Sara if her laptop was accessed. This means that Sara is now aware that they are on her trail. Shepard realizes the need for increased caution now that the Shadow is aware. She has been reading the journal she found, which provides insight into the mind of the Shadow. Frankly, it terrifies her. Initially, Shepard could see Sara's sanity, but as the journal entries continue, Sara becomes increasingly unstable. This instability may have been the reason why she left the Alliance in the first place. Joining the Republic, however, is out of character for her. Shepard suspects that her own betrayal somehow broke the Shadow.

Chairman Vakarian is resolute in protecting her Intelligence Director. Garrus has made efforts to convince his sister to let go of the Shadow, but her response is cold and calculated. She makes it clear that she will not be dictated to, especially not by her older brother, whom she considers a traitor.

Most members of the Coalition choose to stay out of the personal feud between Phoenix and the Republic, particularly between Chairman Solona Vakarian and Commander Shepard.

Shepard gazes at her AR, unable to fathom how drastically her life has changed in just a few short years. The once mighty Alliance now lies in ruins, its death echoing like a death knell. Yet, she finds relief in the familiar chaos of fighting the very enemy that cemented her legend– the Reapers. While many believed these monsters had been beaten, Shepard knows better. The Reapers may not be making a grand return, but their influence still lingers, subtly puppeteering the galaxy's leaders. And Shepard herself is not free from their puppeteering.

Sara, on the other hand, is playing a dangerous game, one that the Chairman recognizes all too well. Salona's desire to kill the Reaper masterminds derives from the knowledge that keeping such a monster alive poses a tremendous health hazard. Sara, however, remains a mystery that needs solving. Why does she aim to control the Reapers? Her journal entries show a disturbing level of instability, with her thoughts becoming increasingly unimaginable.

In an attempt to gather more information, Shepard reaches out to Hackett, asking about Sara's well-being both during and after the war. So far, the response has been quiet. Liara's research only resulted in a light mention of Sara Hackett, with a brief physical description that matches her perfectly. Shepard can't help but reflect on how much she herself has changed. While Sara accuses her of being the one who has changed, Shepard knows that the truth lies within Sara's own instability.

As Shepard closed her locker, a DAN's voice echoed through the intercom, notifying the reception of a coded transmission. The caller is unknown. Shepard decided to take the call in her quarters and headed towards the elevator. As the doors opened, she made her way to her computer screen and powered it on. To her surprise, the Turian leader, Primarch Victus, appeared on the screen.

"Primarch... This is surprising," Shepard expressed her genuine surprise.

"Yes, just like during the Reaper war, you continue to be a thorn in my side, Commander," the Primarch chuckled slightly, and Shepard caught on, returning the smile.