Chapter 20

A war for independence is raging among the Sol Systems Alliance and Turian Higharchy against the Turian Rebels, Quarian, Geth, Human and now the Krogan. The Turian Higharchy has declared war on the Quarian and Geth after they allegedly attacked Alliance facilities and supported the Turian Rebels. The Higharchy disavowed the Orbital Station incident, calling it propaganda and false flag attack by Phoenix — a group they aim to destroy along with Commander Jane Shepard. The Systems Alliance, Turian Higharchy, and Citadel Council have issued a kill order on Shepard. The Axis, as the alliance comprising these nations is currently known, has proposed that the Quarian, Geth, Krogan, Turian Rebels, and anyone else who opposes them return to the status quo before Shepard intervened and hand over the Commander. They promise to establish policies beneficial to all parties, ensuring the prosperity of their nations and people. The proposal put forth by the Axis has been rejected by the allied nations, and for now, the Asari and Salarians have opted to remain neutral. However, it is unclear how much longer they will remain on the sidelines, given their position on the Citadel Council.

The surprising development in this Galactic war is that the first major battle is being fought on the Krogan Home World, which no one expected. The Alliance forces are primarily in defense positions after they landed, allowing the Krogan to sustain heavy losses from Alliance MG and artillery fire. The other fronts against the Galactic Coalition are proving to be more fluid and intense. Commander Shepard is leading the GC forces in urban combat against the Alliance in a newly rebuilt Krogan city that has been reduced to rubble once again. The fighting is deadly and slow, but the GC is gradually pushing the Alliance back towards their landing sites. Shepard is conferring with the other Allied officers and using a Holomap to coordinate their efforts.

The Alliance is managing to hold their own against the Krogan, but they are losing ground to the Galactic Coalition. Gibson approaches Shepard and draws her attention to a specific location on the map. He informs her that Coalition intel has identified the Normandy crew's whereabouts near a nearby building, but they are unsure who is present. Meanwhile, Sara hands Shepard a padd with a message, which Shepard quickly reads and deletes before handing it back to Sara. When Sara asks about the message, Shepard remains silent and turns her attention back to the table. Shepard orders Gibson to take the Krogan forces they have and head to a location just north of where her old crew is holding up. Shepard instructs Sara to stay put and provide constant updates on the Enterprise's position and the Normandy's location. Karen and Aubree will accompany Shepard as they approach the Normandy crew from the south, with the aim of capturing them. The Holotable then turns off.

Four Hours Later

Shepard is leading her Geth and Quarian troops through the ruined city, still waiting for Phoenix to arrive. Shepard has obtained information about who is present at the Alliance FOB, which includes Specter Williams, James Vega, Garrus Vakarian, and some Alliance troops. The Hierarchy troops landed on the Krogan homeworld two hours ago, and Phoenix is still hours away. However, the Turian Rebels are coming with the Phoenix fleet, and they have only a few minutes before reaching the Alliance FOB. Shepard and her team approach a tall, bombed-out building just outside the Alliance FOB, and Shepard orders her team to enter the building. They hear the sound of Alliance armor and gunships flying around and near their positions. Shepard orders Gibson to provide an update while Karen and Aubree oversee their team.

"Gibson, update." Shepard orders as Karen and Aubree overlook their team.

"We are behind schedule commander. Be in position in 20 mikes." Gibson updates his commander.

"Solid copy. Keep me informed of your progress. We will recon the area." Shepard states to her crew member. Karen walks over to Shepard as they both overwatch the Alliance FOB.