Chapter 31

On the remote planet of Faros, the Galactic Coalition finds itself in a dangerous situation following an unsuccessful invasion. Guided by the legendary Commander Jane Shepard, the Coalition is getting ready for an important operation: to storm an Alliance stronghold. The mission is essential; taking control of the stronghold is vital, regardless of the measures or sacrifices required. Without this stronghold, they would not last until the arrival of additional support. They're left with no other option but to launch an attack.

After a thorough three-day period of reconnaissance and gathering intelligence, the team has done their utmost to prepare. Shepard is moments away from giving the green light for the counteroffensive. She takes a moment to check her trusty, albeit cracked, watch. From a distance, she can see what could tip the scales in their favor. Despite taking substantial damage, the Geth have managed to salvage a major portion of their Armatures and Colossus platforms. While battered, these platforms are still operational and pose a problematic threat.

Shepard's base, together with two others, are set to strike the heart of the Alliance stronghold. Meanwhile, other units located further down the battle line will engage the Alliance.  The hope is that by dividing their forces, even though ill-advised by any battle doctrine, they hope they can successfully capture the Alliance stronghold. Failure isn't an option. As Shepard's watch indicates the beginning of zero hour, she lifts her flare gun and releases a flare into the sky, marking the start of the attack.

The Alliance base immediately switches to full alert as the Geth Armatures and Colossus platforms start their relentless attack on the fortress walls. The Alliance tries to respond, but the Geth continue their bombardment uninterrupted. Updates on the assault on the Alliance lines are communicated via radio and, for those without radios, through their own flares.

As the Geth's machinery pounds against the walls of the base, the sound of incoming gunships fills the air. A few Armatures redirect their efforts from the fortress to take on anti-air duties. From the vantage point of a bombed-out building's roof, Shepard oversees the unfolding battle. She knows that soon, she will be on the ground, leading her troops from the front. For now, the battle continues, and her war is far from over.
---
Planetary System of Eden Prime

A few hours have passed since the battle on Faros took a more hopeful turn. At this moment, Katherine Hudson, the helmsman and executive officer of the Enterprises, is heading for the surface of Eden Prime. A few hours earlier, an important Turian figure surrendered to the Coalition, voicing a desire to defect. Katherine's task is to rendezvous with the representative from the Turian Republic an Intelligence operative, the Shadow or Sara Anderson,  and try to arrange a potential deal. She's about to meet her lover's ex-partner, a thought that brings a smile to her face.

As her shuttle starts its descent, Katherine gazes out the front window, taking in the war-torn landscape below. It's been just over two weeks  since the liberation of the planet, yet fires continue to rage unchecked. She steers the shuttle to a landing spot on the fringes of the main city. As Katherine disembarks, Aubree rises and trails behind her toward the designated meeting point. En route, they pass makeshift medical tents teeming with EPR and Coalition soldiers. She wonders, should she refer to them all as Coalition soldiers now, given the EPR's entrance into the Coalition.

In reality, Sara Anderson, also known as the Shadow by the Coalition and Phoenix, is a wanted criminal. Despite her fugitive status, the unparalleled intelligence she provides is invaluable. The Coalition had previously ignored her warnings about Faros and suffered severe consequences as a result. Therefore, for the time being, the Shadow is tolerated, especially given her current contract with the Turian Republic, one of the Coalition's major powers.

A woman dressed in a black uniform and a black balvara catches Katherine's eye from afar. She approaches the woman, who happens to be the galaxy's most-wanted individual.