Chapter 28

24 hours ago, the Coalition declared their independence from the Citadel Council, forming the Coalition of Galactic States. While this move was anticipated, it is still unprecedented. The Council ordered the Citadel Defense Force to secure their borders but did not authorize an invasion of Coalition space. Instead, they opted for diplomacy, opening negotiations with the Coalition in hopes of resolving tensions with member nations and brokering a ceasefire between Earth and its colonies with the Coalition. Delegates from all parties have convened on the Citadel to attempt to bring an end to the conflict that has engulfed the galaxy.

The Systems Alliance has fallen back to the last remaining planetary systems still loyal to the Alliance. After the Higharchy's betrayal, Parliament put forth another no-confidence vote against the Prime Minister Darrell O'Hara. This time, in an overwhelming majority, the Prime Minister was removed from office. His successor, now Prime Minister Andrew Croft, quickly laid charges of sedition, conspiracy, and treason against the former Prime Minister. Despite this, the Alliance remains willing and determined to continue the fight against the Coalition. However, the Alliance is also open to seeking a negotiated peace. The Coalition, on the other hand, has issued a directive stating that they will not negotiate with terrorist organizations. Only their unconditional surrender or their absolute destruction will satisfy the Coalition.

Unknown to the galaxy at large, many do not see the fractures within the Coalition. Mainly between the organization known as Phoenix and the other nations making up the Coalition. Prior to the independence announcement, the Turian Republic, under the leadership of Solona Vakarian, attacked a secret Phoenix spaceport in hopes of capturing valuable information. What this information is remains unknown to Phoenix or the rest of the Coalition. However, the continued support for Phoenix is dwindling. Commander Shepard is still a heavy supporter of Phoenix. Phoenix is currently being tolerated simply because they need the continued support of the savior of the galaxy.

---

Onboard the Enterprise, Shepard's presence elicited wary looks from her crew, particularly from Katherine. Undeterred, Shepard made her way to the QEC to speak with the Phoenix Director about the state of the galaxy and her new empire. She had lost so much in her short life - friends, crew, family, and the Turian she once loved. But despite the losses, she gained a new lease on life and the opportunity to shape the galaxy into something greater. And perhaps, even find new love, though the current circumstances made it complicated.

As Shepard entered the QEC, she saw Gibson talking to Karen, who had been cleared to return to the Enterprise. Karen claimed that Sara had forced her to take the shuttle to the Flotilla, but Shepard knew better. For now, she kept her thoughts to herself. Shepard inputted her code to contact the Phoenix Director and awaited a response.

After a few moments, the blue hologram of the Phoenix Director appeared before Shepard. "Shepard, good to see you safe. The Republic will answer for what they've done," Director Harper said as Shepard looked on.

"At least we know who Sara works for. I'm surprised she would work for them. She has no love lost for Turians," Shepard remarked. She recalled telling Sara before the final battle in the Reaper war that she was seeing a Turian. Sara had wanted to say something, but she had kept her tongue.

"Yes, well, she's not the only one who doesn't trust Turians, but that's beside the point right now. We're currently putting out fires your 'friend' started. The Krogan and Quarians are not happy. We need to find a way to get them back on our side," Director Harper explained, prompting Shepard to ponder on it.

"I don't know, Director. I'll think on it.  What about the Alliance? Any news on them?" Shepard inquired.

"The Alliance has fa back to four planetary systems: Faros, Eden Prime, Benson, and Horizon," the Director informed Shepard. Shepard recognized these planets, having visited them during her previous missions, in a former life.