Chapter 27

The entire galaxy was rocked by a major resolution from the Turian Higharchy. Primarch Adrian Victus ordered the Turian Councilor to initiate a vote to denounce the Alliance and remove it from the council. Additionally, all Higharchy forces were ordered to withdraw to Higharchy controlled space and is willing to begin negotiations with the Turian Republic. The announcement caught the Coalition and even Phoenix off guard.

However, the Republic, led by Solona Vakarian, has made it clear that if the Higharchy wants to negotiate, it must do so through the Coalition itself. This move has sparked rumors that the Coalition is in the process of becoming a permanent political organization, with many member nations stating that the Citadel Council has failed to bring an end to the war and sees the Citadel Council as a failed experiment.

The Higharchy's decision to break away from the Alliance was made after the chains that bound them together were shattered. This happened when the Alliance lost its hold on Harbinger, resulting in significant loss of political and financial power. Victus had been waiting for an opportunity to sever ties with the Alliance and saw it with the failed UN and Alliance votes, but he stayed loyal to the Alliance up until the votes and lost much of his prestige as a result. Unfortunately, this resolution has come too late in many regards, including the Turian Rebels' independence. He must now acknowledge their independence, at least for the time being, and give this new Coalition some space while he prepares for something grander.

Following the Turian Higharchy's surprising resolution, the Asari Republics and the Salarian Union issued similar orders to their councilors. However, both governments still consider Phoenix, as well as Commander Shepard, to be terrorists and believe they should be held accountable for their crimes against the states. In contrast, the Turian Higharchy did not make any further accusations and instead rolled back many of their previous policies.

Due to the capture of the Reaper Husk, by Phoenix, which had been holding the Turians in place, and without its financial and political power, the Alliance was unable to prevent the Turian Higharchy from breaking away. Consequently, the Alliance has lost much of its former strength and is now a mere shadow of its former self.
---
Sara Anderson, a well-known infiltrator and "target killer," is being escorted down a hallway to an integration room by a dozen Phoenix soldiers and several light mechs, and if they could have fit it one heavy mech, serving as an armed guard. Many operators observe as Sara's identity is revealed and she is led down the corridor. Upon entering the room, she sees a Phoenix interrogator standing next to Shepard.

Sara is led to a chair in the room, where she sits down with handcuffed hands on the table. The Phoenix interrogator informs her that she is in a lot of trouble for her attempted assassination of Commander Shepard, and that her actions will not go unpunished. Sara simply smiles and looks at her old friend.

"I will only speak with Shepard alone," Sara declares, speaking hoarsely as her throat is still sore but finally recovering.

"Very well," the Phoenix interrogator agreed, standing up to leave as Shepard took his place. "Answer our questions, Sara, and you will be treated fairly," Shepard added with a sharp tone.

"The Alliance truly has broken you, Edwards," Sara remarked, using Shepard's exiled name.

"It's Shepard, Miss Hackett," Shepard replied, surprising the integration team by using Sara's old last name.

"Very well, Shepard. What do you want to know?" Sara asked, leaving Shepard wondering what she was up to.

"Why are you doing this? Why did you help us and then turn against us?" Shepard asked, deviating from the script provided by Phoenix. Shepard knew that Sara wouldn't give direct answers.

"I helped you when I believed that whatever you were doing was for the greater good. I believed in you and your cause. But a false flag operation? And having Phoenix shoot you?" Sara replied, speaking hoarsely. Shepard looked at Sara.  Sara still having a hard time believing what she was saying and learned.