Chapter 41

Primarch Adrian Victus finds himself at a deadlock as the new Galactic Federation reinforces its Turian countrymen on a large scale. Despite being the introductory leader of the Federation, Commander Jane Shepard chooses to lead from the front, keeping her official identity as the leader undisclosed. However, the people have a suspicion that Shepard is the one leading them. Today, the Citadel Council, with the Hierarchy Councilor in protest, has called for peace talks between the two powers.

The organization known as Phoenix has been labeled as terrorist organization due to conspiracy, terrorist activities, and attempted assassinations, which include targeting Commander Jane Shepard. While Phoenix remains divided, with many still loyal to Director Harper, others follow Commander Shepard and her High Command, consisting of three top military leaders: one Turian, one Human, and one Quarian. United Clan Leader Wrex currently advises but expects his people in a leadership role in the near future, even if not in the High Command.

The Alliance's new treaty with the Federation has proven mostly beneficial for both parties. By avoiding war with the Alliance, the Federation gains more resources, supplies, and troops to combat the Hierarchy. A crucial condition of the treaty is that the Alliance must militarily oppose the Hierarchy. Prime Minister Croft agreed, although the Alliance's involvement is limited due to the previous Coalition government's destruction of the Alliance's military capacity.  Commander Shepard, however, is satisfied as long as the Alliance supplements her forces.

Admiral Raan has retired from the Quarian admiralty board, and the rest of the board members have also resigned, except for Admiral Tali'Zorah, who is currently a fugitive of the Federation. While they retain their rank as admirals, they now serve the Federation. This consolidation extends to all other parties as well. The military leadership is now unified under the Federal High Command, with Shepard serving as its Commander-in-Chief. The High Command possesses significant authority and operational freedom.

The Federation has established a legislative body comprising representatives from various states, currently appointed by their respective executive heads. A general election will be called by Commander Shepard and the High Command once the government and constitution are established. The courts, waiting for their constitution to be finalized by the legislative and executive branches, are temporarily sidelined but not for long.

As expected, all galactic governments, except for the Turian Hierarchy, recognize the new Galactic Federation as a sovereign nation. Even the Citadel Council, with the Hierarchy Counselor in protest, acknowledges the Federation. As the Federation continues to develop, Terra Nova, another human world, expresses its desire to join and has been granted permission. They are currently involved in shaping the federal government and constitution.

Shepard is aboard her flagship, the Enterprise, accompanied by her crew, primarily because of Katherine's presence. Her crew possesses more knowledge than the general population or the former Coalition Leadership.  So they are wary of their commander. As Shepard reviews military reports on the situation on the former Turian Republic Capital World, she can hardly believe she has become the leader of a nation. The new Federal Government is not entirely pleased with Shepard as the de facto leader, but the military leadership insists on it.

Finally, Shepard decides, after a few days, to ask Garrel why he supported her. Although they didn't always see eye to eye, especially regarding the Geth many years ago when she aided them in reclaiming their world, Shepard receives an answer. Like most of the old leaders in the galaxy, they are weary of war and yearn for a prosperous and safe galaxy. Shepard understands the exhausted admiral; his words resonate with her own weariness. She knows that this war must end soon, or she will face the anger of many who supported her coup. As Shepard reads the reports, Katherine notifies her of an incoming call.