Chapter 25

24 Hours After Shepard's Assassination Attempt

Sara Anderson, also known as Sara Hackett to her close friends, was on her way to confront her oldest and closest friend. She had learned some troubling information from Shepard's new lover, and she just wanted to know why. Why would her friend start a war like this? Why would she watch the galaxy burn just to see the Alliance fall and have those she claims to care about fight each other?

Karen, the current CO of the Enterprise, was sitting across from Sara, reading a padd with updates on current operations, which included the Enterprise crew. As the CO, she needed to be in the know-how. When their shuttle entered the Phoenix warship where Shepard was located, Sara knew that she was about to face the hardest conversation of her life.

As the shuttle landed and the door opened, Sara made her way to the med bay where Shepard was healing. Sara entered the elevator wearing a mask, and the Phoenix crew looked at her suspiciously as she walked towards the med bay. When the doors opened, she saw Shepard sitting up on a medical bed with a bandage wrapped around the upper part of her chest. Sara approached her and asked, "How are you doing, Shepard?"

Shepard looked at her and said, "I've been better. You only call me Shepard when you're mad at me. What's wrong?" She could tell that something was bothering Sara.

Sara turned to the doctor and asked her to clear the med bay so they could talk privately. The doctor grabbed a few padds and left the room, and then Sara pulled out a small jamming device. Shepard's heart sank as she realized what was happening.

"I'm going to ask you some questions, and you're going to answer me," Sara declared. "You know I can tell when you're lying to me, so just tell me the truth."

Shepard nodded in agreement, knowing that there was no way to avoid the conversation that was about to happen.

Sara asked Shepard if it was Phoenix who shot her, already knowing the answer. She needed to establish a baseline and see if her friend would be honest with her. Shepard hesitated for a moment, but then admitted, "Yes, it was Phoenix who shot me. I agreed to it because I hoped it would change the dynamics of the war. Everyone knows the Alliance has a kill order on me. Even if they don't authorize anyone to carry it out, who's going to believe them?"

Sara then asked about the orbital platform and if Phoenix was involved in that as well.

"Well, I didn't know about it until after we took it. Phoenix used old intercepted communications with Alliance agents to convince you they were genuine. The plan was to get the Quarian and Geth involved, but it wasn't meant to fall. The Quarians needed a push to join, and just helping them with their immune system wasn't enough for military involvement," Shepard explained to her old friend.

Sara looked at Shepard in shock. She knew about the compromised videos but had chosen to keep quiet at the time. This revelation of the vids prompted her to start investigating Phoenix and those associated with them. "Did you really think I wouldn't find out, Shepard?" she asked, still in disbelief.

Shepard's expression spoke volumes. She didn't care about the consequences of her actions and was willing to see the whole galaxy burn if it meant the fall of the Alliance. She was fully committed to her cause, no matter the cost.

"I always knew you would, Sara. I just hoped you would find out a little later," Shepard replied coldly, maintaining an icy stare with her old friend.  Sara was taken aback by Shepard's demeanor and asked, "Who are you?" She couldn't believe that the woman in front of her was her old friend, Jane Shepard.

"I am Commander Jane Shepard, Sara Hackett," Shepard replied, using Sara's old last name. She hoped it would remind Sara of their past friendship and convince her that it was really her.