Chapter 14

"Did some simple editing mostly time scale after the war before current events"
——
Sol System, Earth, London.

Karin has been in the motel room for the past eight hours, even though she can see the Alliance roaming around the city. Her "betrayal" is being kept a secret from the public for now. The Alliance probably doesn't want an active N7 betraying the Alliance and going over to Phoenix or Shepard.

As Karin moved to the desk in the room, a knock at the room door could be heard. The soldier moved to the door. Jasmine, the Phoenix operator, answered the door on the other side.

"Karin, it's me. Open up," Jasmine stated from the other side as Karin opened the door to reveal Jasmine and another human female in a jacket with a baseball cap and sunglasses.

"Karin, I would like you to meet Commander Shepard," stated Jasmine as Shepard turned to face Karin.

"Yes, my stomach still remembers her fist," stated Shepard as she moved in front of Karin. "So Hackett betrayed you like he did me?"

"It was not Hackett, Commander," Karin answered the most famous human. Shepard waved off Jasmine.

"I will be here if you need me," answered Jasmine as she walked out the door.

"So is this search party for me or for you?" Karin asked as Shepard chuckled a bit as she made her way to a chair.

"For you. The Alliance does not know I'm here," answered Shepard as she sat down. Karin remained standing. "So... What did you mean it was not Hackett that betrayed you?"

"He needed me for an assessment," answered Karin as Shepard remained where she sat.

"And that would be what?" Shepard asked.

"To make sure your old crew stayed in line, including the Turian," answered Karin. This is not far from the truth.

"Is that so... now... Tell me the real reason, Captain," Shepard asked as she did not buy what Karin was saying.

"That's the truth... I will say this, they wanted me to seek you out and spy on you, but I turned it down. So Hackett then offered me to watch your old crew, including Garrus, just to make sure they have no contact with you as you are close to them. But instead the PM stabs me in the back and you show up. Hackett is good, I will give him that," stated Karin as Shepard just chuckled a bit and smiled.

"That he is. Looks like you and I are in the middle of a battle of wills between Hackett, the PM, and the Director," stated Shepard as Karin remained near the window but out of sight of the Alliance search teams. Shepard rose and walked over to Karin. Shepard was not done talking; she wanted to know a few things first.

"So you are the Guardian of Chicago. Anderson talked about you before we hit the Citadel," stated Shepard.

"Did he now? Not surprised; I was not Alliance then. I was part of the American Military during the war, an American Captain. By the forty-eight hour mark, I was the highest-ranking officer in Chicago at the time," stated Karin as she turned her head to look at Shepard.

"It was Anderson who convinced me to join the Alliance. When he came to Chicago, he was surprised to see an effective resistance. We were holding onto key areas of the city; the people had some hope. Just like when we received news about you. In the end, we had to abandon the city and go to London, and help you win your war," Karin continued as Shepard was a little stunned.

"My war? It was everybody's war. The Reapers were everybody's problem," stated Shepard as Karin looked at her.

"Your war, Shepard. It will always be your war. Hell, I was never supposed to be in Chicago. I was stationed in Dallas, but I was sent to Chicago to update our security... I was caught in the city when the Reapers started to land," Karin answered as she stared at Shepard. "When I got hold of American High Command, I asked for my men... They were all killed in the opening hours of the invasion. My men... My family dead... Died fighting your war," Karin continued.

"Your family... your men, right?" Shepard stated as Karin just looked back at her.

"Yes, my men. Many I have known since basic," Karin stated as Shepard rose from her chair.

"Do you think your men, Captain, would want you to stop fighting the war?" Shepard asked as Karin.

"I never said we did not want to fight... just understand it was your war. That people died for your war," Karin stated as Shepard went up to her.

"I do understand. I must ask, did you know why Anderson wanted you to join the Alliance or why Hackett made you an N7 so fast?" Shepard asked as Karin looked over to the redheaded woman, not knowing the answer.

"I don't know. I bet you are going to tell me, are you?" Stated Karin as Shepard moved over to her.

"I'm not surprised that Hackett did not tell you, and yes, I will tell you why... when I was killed about nine years ago, humanity lost a... symbol you could say. An important icon to humanity. When I was brought back seven years ago, the Alliance and the major leaders of Earth started to look for someone to fill the gap just in case it ever happened again. No one truly made the grade until Anderson met up with you in Chicago and saw what you did," Shepard stated as Karin let Shepard's statement sink in.

"You, Karin, are meant to replace me in case anything ever happened to me again. It took some doing, but Anderson convinced Hackett that you were the one to take over if anything happened to me," Shepard finished as Karin was shell shocked.

"All Anderson had to do was convince you to join the Alliance, get you into the N7's and wait for the right time. What the PM did to me, fast forward everything, and the PM finds you just as threatening as me," stated Shepard as Karin looked for a chair to sit in before she lost her balance from what Shepard just told her.

"How do you know this, Shepard? Who told you? I bet that pissed you off, knowing you could be thrown away so easily," asked Karin as her hands shook uncontrollably.

"Anderson told me in London before we hit the Citadel. At first, I was happy; it meant I could have a life outside the Alliance, be with the Turian I love. But as you saw, it was still taken from me because the Prime Minister is... scared of people like you and me, leaders the people would follow without question," stated Shepard as Karin just eyed her.

"It was a last resort. But it was necessary, at least for the people. Imagine the both of us fighting against the Alliance. The good we would bring to the galaxy, Earth. You know you were never an Alliance type to begin with. Why fight for them? You can still be you. The Alliance has betrayed your men who died at Dallas. You know this," Shepard preached.

"If I do this, I work for you, not Phoenix," Karin stated as she rose to be at eye level with Shepard.

"I did not plan on letting you work for them, Captain. Welcome aboard," Shepard stated as the two officers shook hands. Shepard led them out the door on their way to the Enterprise.