Family Ties | Chapter 1

"This....this is my duty." He said tenderly and with tears falling from his eyes.

"Stop being the Flash! Just this once please....don't be a hero." She pleaded.

He cupped her cheeks in his hands and pressed his forehead against hers, this being the final time he gets to embrace her, "I'm sorry Cait." He whispered.

"Don't go...." Her voice sounded like a shattered record, she was barely able to see through her tears or talk through the lump in her throat, "What am I suppposed to tell Sophie...?"

"Tell her I'm proud of her and that I'll always be looking over her." Barry kissed her forehead and hugged her as tight as he could.

"Why....why can't you choose us?" She asked quietly.

"If I choose you....If I'm selfish just this once. Our entire Earth will be destroyed." Barry said, "I want to stay with you, with our daughter, but I can't let you guys die."

The Speedforce raged around them, its lightning refusing to spare anyone as it cracked the buildings and shattered the ground, "Take us with you..."

"You know I can't do that Cait."

"Barr, I waited and waited for you to love me back..."

"I've always loved you Cait....and I always will." He said softly, "Please promsie me you'll love our daughter no matter what. Raise her right.....for both of us."

"I can't raise her alone, don't ask me to do that." She pleaded.

"Cait you're strong, stronger then anyone. You're the only one I trust....for her sake, please promise me."

"I-I promise."

The Speedforce was losing its patience, waiting for someone to take Savitar's place. Barry was a hero, always was a hero and always will be a hero. It's his duty and responsibility to make sure Central City and the world is safe. But it was also his duty and responsibility to make sure his wife had a husband...and that his daughter had a father.

How as he supposed to choose one when one seemed like a right choice and the other was the choice he wanted to make.

It broke him....broke them both as he unwrapped his arms from around her. Every part of their bodies where telling them to stay, to let the world die....to be selfish just this once.

"I'm sorry Cait...I love you."

"Don't be sorry Barr...If you, no...when you get back, me and Sophie will be waiting for you." Caitlin said giving him a soft smile as she kissed him one last time, "I'll see you later."

"Yeah...." He gave her one last smile that she imprinted into her mind before he turned around and walked towards the Speedforce portal without looking back because he knew if he saw Caitlin's face on more time he would stay.

As he entered the portal the raging thunder around them started to die down and the portal began to fade away and with it.....Barry Allen disappeared as well.

***

The skies were dark, gloomy and lifeless. The only light in her life was the small brown haired girl sitting in her lap babbling about her day.

Every feature of her face reminded her of him. Maybe this is how her mom felt all this time, seeing a constant reminder of the man she loved. But she wasn't her mother, far from it.

"Oh really?" Caitlin asked with a laugh as Sohpie nodded rapidly, "How many lollies did Uncle Cisco give you?"

"So many." She said happily, as any child would on a sugar high.