Red String of Fate | Chapter 4

"Kara, you're awake." Barry said softly, their eyes meeting after so long.

"Yeah...I am."

"What's the last thing you remember?"

"I remember the worst pain I've ever felt before. It felt like my blood was being boiled and my soul was being torn apart." She said weakly, her gaze now being averted to the ground.

"What are you going to do now?" He asked.

"I have nothing left, my father abandoned me...I want to hate him and kill him but I can't..." Kara answered, "I... I want to figure out who I am, before Darkseid before everything. I catch glimpses of the past, but I want to know for sure who I am and what my purpose is."

"I know someone that can help you." He said, extending his hand to her.

Hesitation plagued her heart; she was scared to open up and accept his hand. She was scared to show weakness.

He reached down and grabbed her hand and gave her a smile. He was going to help her no matter what.

It was time to leave the past where it belonged, she wasn't who she was before and is ready to explore and find out who she is.

He also, was not who he was before. Before he was a man who had lost everything, he lost the woman who he was willing to die for and now, he has something, or someone, worth living for.

She climbed to her feet, but she didn't let of his hand, she was hesitant about leaving the Speed Force and facing reality but as long as he was here it didn't matter.

The pair walked towards the swirly portal and stepped through, ready to face whatever was on the other side.

***

The sunlight from the real world hit her like a bus and she felt as if all the energy that was drained from her was being pumped back into her body, "Kryptonians gain their powers from our yellow star, that's probably why you feel much more energised."

They stood in an open field with the breeze washing over them and the grass dancing with the wind. She closed her eyes and slowly hovered into the sky, basking in the sunlight. It felt like she had been reborn.

"Why did you save me Barry." She asked, still hovering in the sky.

"During our fight against Steppenwolf, we thought it was over, we thought we won." Barry started as she hovered back down to the ground, "But it was just the start, our cockiness and lack of preparation lead to Steppenwolf and his forces defeating us and he killed someone special to me."

"Your wife...."

"H-How did you know?"

"You told me." She said, "When I was asleep, you spoke to me, and I can remember some of the things you told me. You told me that Steppenwolf killed her."

"When I saw you in pain and helpless, the look in your eyes reminded me of hers. You were a villain and tried and nearly killed me multiple times, but I couldn't let you die."

"I owe you my life, thank you Barry."

He laughed and gave her a smile, "It's what a hero would do right?" He asked.

"Do you think you can keep up with me?" Barry smirked.

"Without even trying." She responded with her smile.

The two of them disappeared and she raced behind the trail of lightning. She was so close to catching him until he smiled back at her and sped up, leaving her in the dust.